Computer hardware question: What's the best brand of hard drive?

I have an ASUS laptop with a Toshiba Hard drive. I have already had to remove it and run a diagmostic and repair on it via Windows 7 because my computer crashed when I updated by graphics driver and then wouldn't boot for nothin.

So yeah, who makes the best hard drive?

Most Helpful Guy

• Based on your question, it's no guarantee that the hdd failed unless you test it with a tool. Maybe run the SMART tests in bios or uefi. If it failed after video driver update, that could be the cause. Try booting in safe mode and uninstall the driver.

If it is the drive that failed, best brand depends on the model. Even the vendors that were known for high quality started selling crappy value drives that don't last, several years ago, including Western Digital and Seagate. In my experience, the smaller sized drives tend to last longer, while the cheap drives with large capacity tend to be crap.

What Guys Said 3

• Does that hard drive produce a clicking or humming sound? How about just formatting it? (I don't think it's any problem with hard disk) Or if you have any data in it, then yeah, it's better to buy a new hard disk to prevent losing that data. As far as you said, it looks like it's the problem with Windows' boot-loader rather than the hard drive. Yeah. I had the same problem (Windows didn't boot after displaying that Windows icon), I removed that Windows and installed Linux (Ubuntu) and it doesn't have any problem so far, no virus, no need of antivirus either, and no file gets corrupted, nothing of that sort, ever. I installed it in a Solid State Drive (Intel) -- that makes it boot in less than 10 seconds, and really fast for copy-pasting as well (however, SSD's are more expensive, so just use it for OS alone). Anyway, with Windows -- it's a fact that Windows slowly ages (and slowly gets corrupted, gets affected by all sorts of virus etc. and always would need a fresh install every once in a while). In Windows, the only good thing is Microsoft Office (which looks cleaner than the corresponding ones available as open source in Linux). Now, regardless of whatever OS you have, you can easily keep a backup with free software -- Clonezilla (installed in a flash drive or DVD). This one makes an exact copy or "clone" of your entire hard disk along with the OS it has (so, you can just swap the hard disks when your original one runs bad, boot using the new one, plug in the original one as well and pull off the necessary data from it). By the way, if you want to test your hard disk you have, remove it and plug it into another computer through a SATA to usb cable and see if you can access its contents.

• A cheaper way to test hard disk. If you have Windows DVD (or better put any free OS like Ubuntu in a DVD (as a bootable DVD)). Then go to BIOS, boot from that DVD (while you still have that hard disk in there) -- if you can access the contents of hard disk, it's a good one.

• I've had very good success with both Western Digital and Seagate. I had one Toshiba drive and it didn't last but about a year.

• I'm not an extreme expert, so my choice is based mostly on ease of use: I prefer Samsung's EVO.

What Girls Said 1