Did you get allowance when you were a kid or did you have to earn it by doing chores?

Did that teach you anything?

Most Helpful Guy

• I got neither. I was too poor. I never even had more than $100 to my name until I got my own job at 19.

• Sorry I submitted too early. Yes I do feel like it taught me something. Most guys my age are splurging on girls and cars and nice things whereas I manage my money intelligently. I never spend money on something I can't afford. I didn't even finance a car until I had enough money to pay it off in full (if I needed to). I finance it solely to build credit. I still treat myself but I make sure it is within my financial means. I'm never jumping paycheck to paycheck.

• Yea it's nice to feel financially secure and not be stressing over not being able to pay bills etc. Thanks for MHO :D

• Welcome :)

What Guys Said 7

• Birthdays / Christmas was about it.

Funny, When i was young, My parents were actually quite rich, Like, Not Millionaires or anything, But, We had Several Porsches, $750k house etc.

So, You would think i would have gotten a lot, But, My dad always told me, 'Mike, If you want something, You have to work hard and earn it for yourself', And, I guess that kinda stuck, He never wanted to give me Pocket money, Because he didn't want me to be raised up spoilt and sponging off him. Which was cool i guess.

• That is actually pretty awesome :)

• I got an allowance. It enabled me some independance which was useful in teaching me how to manage my money, and it didn't desensitize me to wage slavery which was good. I still did chores but I was never expected to or suffered any consequences other than having to watch others do everything, that was good because it taught me the value of kindness and participating in the family of my own free will.

• I got an allowance weekly but I also had to do chores weekly.

• Lol I never got allowance and was required to do chores

• Yes. It taught me that you do not receive a free ride in life. It taught me to budget and financial planning.

• I had chores that let me earn 2 bucks a week. It wasn't important if I didn't get that money. lol

• A bit of both really

What Girls Said 5

• I got a weekly allowance, @coplicated-soul, for lending a helping hand with Weekly Chores for mom, and some money from my Grandma when I cleaned her house once a week as an Extra treat.
    My mom would also give me lunch money and 'Extra' for anything at lunch I wanted to munch for lunch.
    Good luck. xx

• My parents gave me allowance daily.

I didn't have to do chores to gain allowance.
    I was taught since I live in my parents home... it's natural for me to help out. (It is automatically my duty).

• Ha! My parents never gave me an allowance, but I always had chores. I kind of feel like it contributed to my poor money management when I was younger.

• I got allowance.

• I didn't have to do chores but I also never got an allowance.