Do people actually live in Antarctica?

Antarctica is a choosable location of where you're from on this site, and in polls I've seen Antarctica too. Do people actually live there?

It must be a joke then, don't know why it's sometimes included in poll results.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, antarctica is uninhabitable for humans because there is no vegetation whatsoever. No trees, no bushes, not even a bit of grass to feed your reindeers. Additionally, - and contrary to the north pole - Antarctica is an actual landmass covered with ice (the north pole is just ice swimming on the ocean). Because of this, you also can't dig holes into the ice and fish (you couldn't do that even if you knew where a potential lake under the ice is because the ice in antarctica is way too thick, much thicker than at the north pole). So there's really no way you could somehow hunt or produce your own food. You could just as well be on Mars for that matter. There are a few scientists who live there a few weeks at a time but they hardly ever go out of their lab (because there's really nothing there) and everything they eat has to be shipped in.

What Girls Said 3

• Yes, scientists live in Antarctica for research but not permanently.

• I watched a movie about a scientist that did. He ended up eating mice and stuff. Bleh...

• Yeah I guess they have

What Guys Said 4

• 80ish people, All of whom are scientists,

Though, That number rises closer to 200 during the winter when its not as cold.

• It's a way to obviously not say where the person lives.

• Lol I have Antarctica as my country.. No I don't.

• Scientists live there temporarily.