Would it be hard to teach myself how to play the piano?

When I have the money after I finish all my schooling, I want to buy a piano and teach myself. I taught myself to play acoustic and electric guitar when I was around 14. I can't read music well at all, but I can still play songs. Can I do that with piano?

I like jazzy type music.

Most Helpful Guy

• Ofcourse u can! I self taught but dont really know how to read music for about 3yrs until i take piano classes. U can learn how to play ur fave songs from utube cuz sum might have piano tutorials for it. All u need is to keep playijg and the muscle memory will come into play after a week or so. Practice makes perfect afterall. U dont need to learn how to read music. Utube is available for that reason 👌🏼

Most Helpful Girl

• Not really I taught myself.

What Guys Said 6

• If you REALLY want something you can do a lot :-)
    I must say most of the people I know who played piano had learned it in a school or from a private teacher.
    But if you've managed to do it with an electric guitar at age 14 than you'll cope this time as well :D

• Yes, it's quite possible to achieve. If you are serious, don't take short cuts. Learn all major and minor scales. There's quite a few! Learn arpeggios, too. Practice all you can.

• If you taught yourself other instrument it gives you a head start - Should be doable

• If you can play guitar you'll be able with patience

• Depends on what type of playing you want to do. For me it always helps to get an opinion from a professional. Little things make a huge difference

• You can. I played the cello and figured out basic piano.

What Girls Said 3

• Not to hard. Look up tutorials on YouTube or something. I played piano for 12 years and I'm horrible at reading sheet music. I play by ear. It drove my piano teachers crazy

• my best friend taught her self she is very good. she learned to read music from youtube videos , google does great things.😂

• Yep, it'll be no problem at all. Just learn how to read the notes and everything will be fine. You don't have to be superb after all. Just have fun! =D