Ever wanted to do this kind of traveling?

400 km longboard travel

18000 km bicycle travel

• Yes
  • No
  • I'd like to, but I don't think I'm fit enough.

Most Helpful Guy

• While I am not much of a physical activity fan in general, I absolutely love riding my bike. Cycling is something like a part of our national culture in Switzerland (similarly to the Netherlands or Denmark). Just like many American families have more than one car, almost every Swiss person above the age of 5 has their own bike, sometimes even more than one per person (for different purposes). In fact, I just bought myself a new one about a year ago, after my old one was stolen. I went for a crossbreed between city and mountain bike. I wanted to have a good quality bicycle because I knew I'd have it for the next 10 years or so, so I paid almost 1400 dollars, which is ton of money for me (I'm a uni student). I don't exaggerate when I say that my bike is one of my best friends. It has already taken me to so many places. Because most cities in my country are quite bicycle friendly (sometimes even more bicycle friendly than car friendly), I do almost everything within my city by bike. Many people like my parents just use their bikes during the spring/summer but I really always ride my bike, be it rain, snow or sunshine :-). I also have done a few small one or two day tours but nothing ever too big. One of my big dreams is to ride my bicycle from my hometown in northern Switzerland all the way through Germany, to either Kopenhagen (Denmark) or even across the bridge to Malmö (Sweden). That's about 1,000 kilometers. Considering I'm not the fittest person on the planet, I would want to do about 40 kilometers a day. It doesn't sound like much but you have to remember that you would do this every single day for a long time. So if I go with these numbers, it would take me roughly a month for the tour - in other words: something I could do in my long summer break. But because I am visually impaired I wouldn't want to do it on my own. That would be too dangerous. So I'd need a good friend (or my girlfriend) to come along.
    I would also love to do an even bigger tour than that. I'm a big adventurer and I absolutely love travelling and travelling like this is probably one of the most adventurous way you can travel. But really big tours unfortunately also afford time and some money. There are two students from my university (good friends) who came in the newspaper because they travelled by bike from Switzerland all the way to Beijing. They even went through Iran and the foothills of the Himalaja with their bikes. It took them 9 months. It got me dreaming... :-)

• Do you wear a helmet when you bike?
      Not sure if it's the same people, but two guys (twin brothers?) even made a documentary and appeared on national television, SF.

• Oh haha, it's youuu. I'm here explaining Swiss culture to a Swiss person. Wow. Now I feel really stupid ;-). I'm so used to talking to rather poorly informed Americans on here ;-).
      Yeah, I think it might have been those two guys... though I thought they were best friends, not brothers... .
      And no, much to the frustration of my eye doctor, my mom and my girlfriend, I don't wear a helmet. I admit there aren't really any good reasons not to wear one. I guess it's simply stubbornness on my part. My dad always says "something has to happen first before you'll learn". Maybe that's true. Fortunately, I've been riding my bike all my life and I've only had one real accident... and the body part that I hurt there was not my eyes but something also quite sensitive... more down south (and yes, I'm fine again :-)).

• Hahaha, and here I thought you were explaining it to everyone else but me xD
      I just checked, my memory serves me right, they were brothers, although not twins, but they could be judging from the way they look xD www.srf.ch/.../berlin2shanghai-1-5
      No need to explain, I don't wear it either xD Although I really should. I just haven't gotten around it yet.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope, but I've always wanted to try something along these lines, just on horseback ^_^

What Guys Said 7

• Not by either of those means of transport - but I'd go on a long sea-kayaking expedition, like taking the inside passage up to Alaska or something.
    On the other hand, I've been seriously thinking for a while about buying a van and driving all around Europe in it, so that's probably more likely.

• No, too dangerous xD

• No it takes too much cardio which I don't have plus it seems very strenuous even with all the breaks I could give my self and replenishing my body with food.

• If people weren't psychopaths I'd love to walk and hitchhike across large distances.

• I so want to do the longboard travel someday.

• Nah. Im in love with my comfort so i prefer planes.

• it would be pretty sweet but im pretty sure i would die

What Girls Said 5