What do you think of the stereotype that video games aren't unisex?

I love video games but the gaming community is so toxic. Guys and even other girls nack on girls in the community and it makes me sad.

I use to enter a lot of tourneys in high school and it's gross sometimes because a guy will see me in my frilly skirt and when we shake hands or something they'll say something like, "I'm going against HER? *Scoffs*"

But I'm just curious, because I'm dorming in September and my house is going to have a lot of tourneys. I'm so excited. :)

Do you guys have any favorite video games?

Most Helpful Guy

• Internet in general shows what people are actually are or what they want to be, but can't in real world. Video games aren't exceptional since they are connected to internet. It's just a thing we have to live with in 21st century (even if it's sad).

About favorite games. Of course I have! First on my list is, and I think will always be, The walking dead by TellTale games! Then goes skyrim, mass effect, need for speed most wanted (old one), Euro truck simulator 2 and list can go on and on ^_^ These are just my most favorite ones!

• Skyrim is cool. I'm more of a Dark Souls fan though, huge fan.

• If I want something complicated, I try to find a good puzzle game. Now those cane be satisfying as hell, after two days of trying to solve a puzzle!

• Haha! Touche!

What Guys Said 6

• it's true girls get a lot of flak among people playing.

That's how you separate mature from immature gamers. I don't care if you're a man or woman, if you feed the enemy you're a noob. If you make them feed you then you're a pro.
    The problem however is how territorial some guys are. They THINK they are MLG, and everyone who's not are just thrash.

So just hang in there and slaughter them. That'll shut them the hell up. they need it

• That's the internet in general. There's a reason why I press the ignore button or pretend I'm Finnish.

• i mean i think theyre for everyone tbh, i just think most of the players are guys. i also think the community is just so dirty. there are nice people online who just play but most are angry guys and girls who get off on being the only girl there. id play online if it was different but i dont anymore.

like all the guys start fucking with this girl, and you can't even say anything cuz then you're a white knight. all that happens is i get sad and start thinking about sociology stuff and get mad.

... so now i just replay uncharted or something offline n_n

• i wish my school had tourneys. yeah there's a lot of ass holes in the gaming community but most people that game are socially awkward. kicking them out of the community or making them not want to play would kill the gaming industry

• I think it's a stupid stereotype. If a girl can play, let her play. If she can't play, try to teach her. Some of my favorite series are Mass Effect, Assassin's creed, and Super Smash Bros.

• Did you get the new Smash? My house is going to have A LOT of smash tourneys and I'm trying to get really good at Sheik and Peach.

• My worst is probably the new Mewtwo or Palutena

• Oh yeah. Mewtwo, Palutena, and Lucario are pretty hard. I'm a pretty good Ness but I'm shit at using his up-b.

• I'm not a gamer, but those guys are shooting themselves in the foot by alienating girls instead of being welcoming. I don't see why girls shouldn't play video games.

What Girls Said 5

• Honestly video games lose all their fun when you have some asshole dude in your ear explaining exactly how he would rape you. I never play games with guys in person except my boyfriend and when I play multiplayer games I choose a male sounding name and never talk so I don't get harassed and threatened. the gaming community is a horrible place for girls and the sad thing is that we now make up MORE than half or the consumer market for games. The most violent and evil things I have ever heard in my life were over xbox live. Most hardcore male gamers are pretty much evil and I still love video games but I will do whatever it takes to be left alone so I can actually enjoy myself.
    www.theguardian.com/.../52-percent-people-playing-games-women-industry-doesnt-know

• also I like Skyrim ( and them my dad STEPPED ON IT), classic Nintendo franchises (Zelda is my boyfriend's favourite) I am loving the new reboot of Majora's mask, And Ni No Kuni because Studio Ghibli makes the most amazing artwork it's really fun to explore the different landscapes!, I also love American Mcgee's Alice and Alice Madness Returns, because she's a really awesome multifaceted female hero who isn't overly sexualized. Also Alice was my first video games and I used to play it with my mom in like grade1! ... yeah I know it's super dark for a 6 year old but I loved it!

• Yeah it sucks. I'm a game developer myself and sometimes people don't believe me when I say that.

Most of my favorites are on the PS2. Some of the newer ones I like are Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, and Bioshock.

• Oh man! That's my dream job! You're so young though, how did you do it?

I'm going to try to start on my degree in computer science first semester.

• Well I'm an indie game developer now lol. I can't get a job till I complete my degree. That's my college major though.

• Honestly that's kinda the reason why I play alone. I don't like to be ridiculed and I find gaming relaxing.
    Right now I play the Witcher III. I also like Assassins Creed, Bioshock, middle earth: shadow of mordor. I don't play that often (normally, right now quite a lot), so I haven't played that many games...

• Well I mean being a female gamer is a dick magnet, especially if you're good.

I get where you're coming from though, but I'm a pretty competitive player so I have no choice but to play with other people.

• Yeah I'm not. I like to game because of the game. How it's made, storyline, graphics, combat techniques. I don't care about being a dick magnet. I just like to game.

• Yeah, I'm a female gamer and I get a lot of hate. It's just cause the guys who are the assholes are usually insecure virgins.

• I don't game, but I really hate it that that happens. It's kinda sexiest and really should stop.