Is it weird that I'm 25 and still hide the fact I smoke from my parents?

So even though I'm 25 years old and it's been legal for 7 years for me to smoke cigarettes, I still have to hide that I smoke from my parents (my dad mainly) because my grandma died from lung cancer and my uncle died from emphysema. I consider it both a good thing and bad thing. It's good in the sense that I smoke a lot less and it saves me money, not as addicted but it's also bad because I feel like I'm doing something illegal and feel like a teenager worrying about getting caught even though it's completely legal for me to do so.

I am in the process of quitting or just cutting down to when smoking while I drink but who else has to hide this?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm glad you are in the process of trying to quit your habit.
    Continue to hide it from them... pretty soon you would have conquered your addiction (and will no longer have this problem).

I've never experienced this , but I definitely know
    my parents wouldn't like it either.

• Just because someone is over 18 doesn't mean their parents won't care what decisions they make.
      You are still their baby , no matter what age you are.

• Yeah I cut down on drinking too. I used to drink 4-5 days a week but now it's 3 because even though I've never "felt the need for it", it's still not a good habit just because it's available or that's what your friends are doing. So I'll either get drinks at the bar or buy beer from the store, not both.

• I also think it's a great thing they've come out with e cigs and vaporizers now as opposed to people using nicotine patches, nicotine gum, etc. my issue is while they do help cut down, they still don't have the same feel from a regular cigarette. Also with a cigarette, you're done with it once it's out. With an e cig, you can be puffing on it all day and run though the cartridge quickly, just because you can. If they somehow replicate the feel of a cigarette with a vape, I'd quit completely and not do it again, not even socially. I mean vapes aren't entirely healthy for you but they're still not remotely as bad as regular cigarettes.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've always felt if you're ashamed that your parents know then don't do it.

• Having grown up with a strict and controlling father, I've learned that strictness only leads to more sneakiness.

• Is that supposed to be a stereotype that Asian parents are strict? I've never heard that.

• Hell yeah a lot of Asian parents are strict.

What Girls Said 4

• Lol, I still hide my cigs from my mom out of respect. I spray the car with febreeze and I wash my clothes often and wash my hands to get rid of the smell. I'm not planning on quitting or anything but I do try to not let her see it. It's not weird, I feel like it's a respect issue. Also, I like to preserve my sanity - too much nagging otherwise.

• Yeah I time myself before I go home. I usually keep sometime between my last cig before going home so I don't reek of smoke. That's one thing I like about the e cig. I can do it in my house without getting caught. No one goes, you smell like vape lol.

• I have before because I quit for three years then started back up and quit again for a year and then now I am again. I always would hide it from my mom she knows now but I feel guilty for it. Such a bad habit. 😭

• Yeah I started when I was 16 and quit when I was 18 and then picked it up again when I was 22 saying it was gonna be "socially" but then I found myself bumming off a lot of people and felt bad about it then started buying packs again. It is a filthy habit, no doubt.

• Wow that's crazy. I've never heard of people getting infections from them. Was it a regular e cig or the vapes that you put the liquid in?

• Regular e cig but it was pretty bad I couldn't sleep on one side of my face it hurt so bad. I was kind of embarrassed to go to the doctors for it but it hurt. But yeah I haven't heard of it either but it happened to me.

• The whole situation is pathetic.

• its not weird, i do that too.

What Guys Said 5

• You are just avoiding drama.

• more than just drama, it'd cause a big argument. I'm about to move out soon though so it will be less of an issue

• A big argument is pretty much what I meant when I wrote "drama".

• Yeah but my dad did say 5-6 years ago that if he caught me, he'd kick me out of the house and not pay for college. It's not an issue now since I have a job and am moving out but back then it would have.

• i dont think you should hide lol

• Yes it is, you are your own person and you smoke while knowing the possible ramifications.

• I used to do hash n ya i used to hide it from my ex... man she's so fukin annoying. .

• Was she one of those, "pot will ruin your life" types?

• I've never told my parents I've ever tried marijuana. Never will either; she would probably have an aneurism

• My mom knows I smoke weed, just doesn't wanna catch me doing it lol.