Driving competency tests for senior citizens?

The news recently is that the government is looking at confiscating firearms from recipients of Social Security. I have all kinds of problems with that, but frankly, I think we have a far bigger problem in this country with people who are no longer fit to drive a car getting behind the wheel and seriously injuring or killing someone. Just recently in my own town, there were two separate incidents - an elderly woman backed her car over someone in a grocery store parking lot, killing her, and another driver geared into "Drive" instead of "Reverse" and rammed through the front wall of a local shop, not stopping until the car was entirely inside the building.

Would you support regular mandatory testing above a certain age to ensure senior citizens are still competent to drive, and taking their licenses away if they cannot pass the test?

• I would support driver's competency testing and license confiscation
  • I would not support such testing
  • Wait, what was that about guns?
I'd be interested to see some debate on this, some counterpoints.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I'd be fine with that. It's for the safety of other motorists as well as themselves. They actually already test drivers who are 80 years of age and older every two years in my province, and I'm fine with that.

In fact, I'd be completely fine with every driver here getting tested every 5 years when they go in to renew their licenses. There are so many shit drivers of every age out there who only drove well once to pass their test. If you fail the test, you would have to go back to driving school and learn to drive properly with an instructor. Insurance rates are insanely high here even if you're a good driver, and I'm sure they'd be lowered if everyone knew what they were doing behind the wheel.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, senior citizens should definitely be re-tested at regular intervals - and should be required to be able to drive a car with a manual transmission.
    Here in the UK, automatics are driven almost exclusively by very old people who are no longer capable of driving a manual, but think they can cope with a much simpler automatic - which unfortunately leads to many, many cases where they press the wrong pedal and end up running someone over. We need to get the message across that if you can't drive a car with a manual transmission, you can't drive a car, period.
    Aside from that issue with driving automatics, old people are generally quite safe drivers (albeit very slow and annoying), which is why they pay less insurance.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/.../

• I'm in the US, and I've never driven a manual transmission. I'd be interested to learn, though.

What Girls Said 1

• They already have that where I live since a good portion of the elderly here have been diagnosed with dementia/Alzheimer's.

What Guys Said 2

• There is already something already in place like this... there is a form you fill out from DHSMV you fill a form out if you think someone is a danger to themselves or someone else. I think you can do it anonymously. Once the DHSMV gets the form they call that person in for a updated drivers test to make sure they are still competent as a driver.

• definetely.

and not only... i believe everyone should have a test at least every 2-3 years. wot if this person became a maniac after havin his driver's license?