What do you think about this law in my country?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_301_(Turkish_Penal_Code)

1) A person who publicly denigrates Turkishness, the Republic or the Grand National Assembly of Turkey, shall be punishable by imprisonment of between six months and three years.

2) A person who publicly denigrates the Government of the Republic of Turkey, the judicial institutions of the State, the military or security organizations shall be punishable by imprisonment of between six months and two years.

3) In cases where denigration of Turkishness is committed by a Turkish citizen in another country the punishment shall be increased by one third.

4) Expressions of thought intended to criticize shall not constitute a crime.

I have been called a terrorist twice for opposing this Orwellian law that takes away my freedom of speech completely. I fake patriotism in daily life, but it's killing me inside.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm sorry. The woman I'm seeing has spoken about these restrictions at length. Since Turkey started bombing the Kurds in Syria and Iraq these last few days, they've cut off access to news sites such as Rudaw and ARANews which I, from the US, am still following. She can't get news from home anymore without a third party to relay it. Turkey is now bombing the people who've been defending Kobane from ISIS, after a suicide bomber in Turkey targeted protestors who had gathered in support of the people of that same city. It's criminal.

• Downvote all you want. Doesn't change this:

aranews.net/.../

• If you speak multiple languages, you can find well-paying work as an interpreter. I can't speak as to how easy or difficult it is to immigrate to Europe, but I hear that Switzerland has a very good program in place to help people adapt and find work.

• Correction; it was Rudaw, Bas News and Firat News.

http://rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/250720154

Someone would have to confirm if ARANews is blocked as well, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Most Helpful Girl

• That seems stupid and ridiculous. Why not move?

• I don't have the resources and I'm a minor. Do you think it's a good idea to become a refugee?

• Well, you won't be a minor forever. I'm not sure you can really claim refugee status.

• Yeah, things can change.

What Guys Said 9

• I'm glad it not like that in the UK, as I am so critical of our electoral system and the various governments it produces.

• Seems draconian to me - A case of who guards the guardians come to mind - The right to dissent peacefullt must exist.

• What can you expect from a shitty third world nation that takes most of its morales from a medieval religion...

Damn, Seems kinda totalitarian to me.

• Go ahead, say what you want about Turkey. It gave me nothing.

• Mhmm, I think the way you go about living here, Is if you get sponsored, I. e Someone willing to take care of you and gurantee you a place to stay should you need it and help financially (Though they would have to be British like myself), Or, The hard way which is marrying a British person haha.
      Like, My nationality is Manx (Because im from the Isle Of Man), But, Being Manx also makes me British (Because its part of Great Britain), So, I could sponsor anyone from the world and have them live here if i wanted.
      So, I dont know matey, Im sure you will find something out though ;), I wish you all the best.

• Thanks.

• It's an immoral law.

• That's fucked up. Fuck that law and everything it stands for, there should be mass rebellion for shit like that.

• LOL, google Gezi Park 2013. It's what happens when there's a mass rebellion. We don't even go to crowded places just in case there's a suicide bomber. It wasn't this bad before, but ever since we got involved in Syria's shit it only got worse.

• I think I'm glad I'm not Turkish and can denigrate the Turkish government with impunity.

• I think I'm glad I'm not Turkish and can denigrate the Turkish and my own government with impunity. :)

• Looks like turkey has no freedom of speech.

Turks often come here asking "what do you think of turkey?" to which I'll reply, "you have no freedom of speech, you suck. 'merica number 1."

• Canada has more freedom

• yeah you tell her random student.

by the way asker, the bald eagle is a symbol of america not Canada. their symbol is a boring leaf.

• I know.

• I think Turkey has no respect for freedom of speech.

• At least it gets reported when a journalist is arrested there. In Syria, by contrast, they'd just go missing, and fifteen to twenty years later the family might learn that they died in prison.

• that's grim if you have to say it's great.. compared to Syria! lol

• Well, Turkey IS a Muslim country. I don't know what else to tell you.

What Girls Said 0