Girls, is this a good policy or not?

My boss (a male boss to anyone wondering) has incorporated a new policy which states that if a woman feels too uncomfortable or in pain to work whilst she's on her period, she is free to take the day off as long as she makes up for the time later on. It seems good to me but my one worry is that women could exploit the system if they feel like having a day off (especially as us men aren't entirely clued up). What do you think, good policy or nah?

11

Most Helpful Girl

• she has to make the time up anyway so it wouldn't make a difference. but its a good policy, because sometimes some jobs act like girls dont get period or we aren't hormonal. Like sometimes my flow is so ridiculous i need to go the bathroom every hour and pop pills all the time , and my feet literally feel like they are going to fall off, i feel like my stomach is on fire, or im so hormonal feel like murdering everyone... its a good policy. Is this the same for pregnant women? There is close to no protection for pregnant women in the workforce they literally have to suck it up, its horrible.

What Girls Said 10

• I think that's so great! There are days when I honestly can't get out of bed and can't eat anything because of my period. If I could make up that time and pay later, I would do it in a heartbeat. I would be way more productive and more useful since I wouldn't be feeling awful or be worried about using up my sick time.

I don't think it would occur to most people to abuse it anyway? Like people abuse sick time to go to a concert or whatever, but we still all agree that sick time is an important part of workers' benefits.

• I think it's a good policy especially since some women have a really hard time on their period. I'm very lucky in that I don't have that bad pain during my period. However, there have been times where I am in such pain I am unable to move and I'm having a really heavy day and it's just not good. It can be really hard to go to work when you are worried you will leak, or go to the bathroom too much or be in pain and won't perform well.

I really think though that they should offer the policy to all in the office to make it fair. If a guy is having stomach pain or is not feeling well he should be able to take the day off as well. Yes men don't get periods, but that doesn't mean they don't get sick. In any case, the workplace should enact sick days that they can use for days when they are just not feeling quite up to working and can make up the time.

• If they will make a calendar or something that will mark the days off they take then I think it is a good idea or else it may lead to chaos if women starts to take a day off whenever they feel like and make "menstruation" as an excuse ;)

• I think it's a wonderful policy, but they would have to be willing to make up the time. I've never had awful periods but I have had some really bad period days. However if y'all have sick days available could that not follow under a sick/personal day? If that isn't an option though y'all would prolly be better off implementing a sick/personal day allotment for everyone even if it isn't paid.

• It's a good policy. If a woman abuses it - she might get fired or be chosen last on days when the boss is deciding to who to give a raise to.

• I mean, most women aren't actually in all that much pain during their periods. It's more of a general feeling of "meh." I highly doubt that women will exploit the system. And if they do, it's like once in 28 days.

• actually most women are , thats why more and more teenage girls are being put on birth control pills to help with menstraul cramps and side effects. I blame the chemicals in the foods.

• @lolomon most women do not have endometriosis which is why this policy exists.

• I never said they did?

• That's kind of weird, that's what sick days are for. If it is every month she needs to talk to her doctors... wtf is this for real? Seems like an HR nightmare if he is a male even mentioning a woman's period?

• not really, they already know your trans to begin with. They do ask what your sex and gender is on applications more these days. Or they just ask what your sex is and at your interview is when they find out your trans.

• Fine policy, but why the gender stuff? If an employee isn't feeling well for whatever reason, he or she can make the time up later.

• gender doesn't depict periods your sex does. so it doesn't have to do with gender but with sex. Creating a fairer work place for the sexes.

• I think it is a completely reasonable policy. You try dealing with feeling like a wild animal is ravaging your insides, bleeding through your pants, and feeling like the whole world is out to get you at the same time AND THEN HAVING TO GO TO WORK.

• It's considerate but it will probably just lead to girls bending the rules