What is the greatest sin?

If you were to try and discern God's idea of morality by what acts are most likely to be most severely punished in life what would you choose? For example I'd say timidity, the inability to defer gratification and inflated expectations tend to result in the most damage to happiness. You can murder, lie, cheat and steal and you won't suffer as much in life (other people might make you suffer if they catch you) as you will from just being timid.

Except for kambo-trick3y so far everyone is answering a question I didn't ask and he was being flippant. I wanted to know what actions entail the worst direct consequences in your opinion. If you could do something and be certain no person or deity would punish you for it, what actions would be their own punishment?

Most Helpful Guy

• narcissism. it is the complete anti-God state of mind.

• Very good, self love does cause you to miss wonderful things in life without even realizing it.

What Girls Said 2

• Bringing harm to others, in particular to children. Whether it is murder, or physical or sexual abuse.

• Do you suffer for bringing harm to others. It seems to me your conscience would only bother you if you felt unjustified.

• That's why we have a conscience... because bringing pain to others does bring pain to ourselves.. I guess it's a way to regulate our antisocial behaviour.

• But your conscience is pretty obviously a part of your social conditioning. If you had been born on Papua new Guinea a hundred hears ago for example your conscience would have had no problem bashing a member of the neighboring tribe over the head and eating him.

• In Christianity all sins are equal.

• Yes, but I was not referring to received religious ideas. Imagine we have no idea what God wants for us, that there are no sacred texts but are just trying to figure out his rules by looking at creation and how actions have consequences here on earth.

What Guys Said 6

• Not liking pizza.

• I get your point and you got mine but I was kinda looking for something a little less specific. More of a principle.
      How about unwillingness to open your mind (to the glory that is pizza)?

• The greatest sin according to Christianity is to refuse to accept God. You can be forgiven for anything, but denying God is unforgivable.

• Yes, but I was not referring to received religious ideas. Imagine we have no idea what God wants for us but are just trying to figure out his rules by looking at creation and how actions have consequences here on earth.

• But your conscience is pretty obviously a part of your social conditioning. If you had been born on Papua new Guinea a hundred years ago for example, your conscience would have had no problem with you bashing a member of the neighboring tribe over the head and eating him without a thought about his widow and orphans except perhaps glee at their discomfiture.

• Hey when you come from a long line of sinners, yes you may have a repressed conscious. But again, it does not make it any less wrong to kill, steal, cheat or do anything that is considered "bad". There is no argument about it... it is wrong. THAT, my friend, is what a sin is judged by, not what punishment you recieve. A punishment is just how you pay for what you have done... but the cause is still wrong even if you dont get hurt or punished for it.

• I think murder is the worst. You are ending another's chance at redemption, happiness, destroying everything around them. Murder is never okay, even within the church. Never murder.

• But do YOU actually suffer from murder? Or is it the discovery and disapproval of others which makes you suffer. I think if I really felt justified in killing someone it wouldn't bother me that I'd done it.

• No. Murder is suffering. I'm not Christian or Catholic, so imagine this scenario: (in this scenario you are not religious.) Someone kills you, (horribly) and there is no heaven or hell (hypothetically.) You die, and guess what? Nothing else happens. You are erased from existence. No thought. No body. You may not feel pain, but you don't experience anything else. Now, back to a religious point of view. Imagine someone deserves murder. Well, you exercise patience and forgiveness. You FORGIVE them, enough at least to have them arrested or something. You can't be the one to condemn someone to heaven or hell, that SHOULD be out of your power. Which is why it's listed as a sin.

• The deepest circle of hell is reserved for betrayers.

• See my update.

• It depends on the persons resolve for revenge. Revenge is one of the most powerful motivators and is often facilitated by betrayal.

• The desire for revenge, for getting even I can see as frequently entailing it's own punishment but i don't think I'd have put it near the top. It's also likely to be a very satisfying experience, just depends how things turn out. Certainly the ability to forgive is better, it almost always turns well as long as you ensure against further harm from the person who wronged you.

• To be a virgin after high school

• Better. So the general principle would be failure to grasp opportunities? Timidity would be a big part of that I should think.

• One cannot discern God's idea of morality solely by observing other people's reactions to one's own actions. People have free will and thus their actions may very well be unrelated to God's idea of morality or even one's own actions. God's idea of morality is pretty clearly spelled out in the Bible. That's much better research material than random strangers.

• I wasn't interested in what other people think. My question was about necessary consequences not public censure. As I said, what acts would still entail their own punishment even if God or people didn't punish you for them?

• I think the real punishment occurs after life.

• Maybe, I don't know but I find it interesting to contrast the 'sins' which get you punished here and now with those which are supposed to get you punished hereafter. There isn't a lot of overlap.