Are cops out of control?

I've read many of stories throughout the last few years about how cops are abusing their power, and as of recent. I discovered that my friends dog was shot in the head by a cop, because he managed to chew his way through my friends backyard fence. Even though the dog did nothing wrong at all, and there were over 10 witnesses watching the dog slowly approach the cop with it's tongue hanging out and looking to play. The cop still shot it in the head, and almost killed it. Just because he deemed it dangerous. He was allowed to almost kill a poor family dog that many witnessed had done nothing, but want to play.

• Yes, cops are completely out of control, and we need to do something
  • No, cops aren't out of control
  • I just want to see the results

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe not necessarily out of control, as a whole, but I would really love it if they had more accountability. Right now, it seems like they can kind of just do whatever the hell they want, and if the public doesn't get mad and make it go viral, they'll get away with it. That absolutely shouldn't be the case.

There are loads of good cops out there, but we're having to focus on the bad ones out of necessity, so it seems sometimes like the good ones don't even exist. :( Like if you're doing nothing wrong, who's going to pay attention?

Most Helpful Guy

• Everybody in authority is out of control. When is the last time anyone backed by a union or high up in the government had to pay the penalty you or I would (assuming you aren't one of those people) for their incompetence or mendacity?

About the only think which WILL bring them down is a breach of political correctness.

It's a farce.

What Girls Said 9

• Wow sorry to hear about the dog and yes they are definitely getting way too out of control. I hope that at some point everybody would ban together and fight back. Really sad all these continued senseless killings by cops. I

• I don't think they are out of control. I think police departments as a whole are a lot more professional than they were decades ago. I think they used to get away with much more than they do today. Dash and body cameras, along with everyone having a cell phone and the Internet are big reasons for that. What you have today is a media that sensationalizes the few who abuse their power, making it seem like there's a problem everywhere. As for the dog, is that really a major issue? Most cops are going to treat any dog running loose as a threat. I wouldn't approach a strange dog, even if it looked friendly to me. The moral of the story is to keep better track of your pets. On the flip-side, if the dog had bitten a neighborhood child, the same people would be raising hell that the police didn't do enough.

• Have you ever owned a large pet? They sometimes find ways to get out of well barricaded areas. Which is a live and learn scenario... Would you expect your kid to be euthanized, because they got into a fight at school, and made the mistake of letting their anger get the best of them? Gosh, you'd just be a horrible parent for letting your kid make a mistake. Might as well have a cop take them out too if that's the case. Since you're not fit to be a parent, because your kid makes a couple of mistakes along the way. (sarcasm)
      The moral of that sarcastic story is to help you understand that you escalated the scenario by saying the dog bit someone. Do you know the statistic of a dog biting someone if it's been well trained? Pretty gosh darn low. The point is the cop overstepped his bounds, and luckily they have a lawyer, and looks as if they'll not only get a settlement, but the cop will be removed from the force for overly aggressive behavior.

• Yes it really is just a dog.

• Well good news. The "just a dog" story got out a tad in my friends town, and the police officer has officially been forced to resign. The neighbors apparently called into the police station so much, and the judge taking the case is so pro animal. That it put a lot of pressure on the officer, and the precinct. So as of 9am this morning. The officer has resigned from the force, and had half of his benefits removed effective immediately. The family is still working on a settlement charge, but so far it looks as if the precinct will be force to at least pay the vet bills.

• You be a cop. It's not easy. Every day they see people, and they see them at their worst. There's not a good day for them, and they have to deal with the emotional and psychological repercussions of their profession. Most cops do it because they want to keep people safe--they have families and morals. Others, who knows? But every profession has rotten apples. But imagine going out to work every day to keep people safe, and all you get in return is hate? If you don't like the cops, imagine a world without them. Then you'd be begging for them back.

• That is still no reason to kill someone or an animal, which police do EVeryday, unjustified. It's against constitutional rights. Your right, my right, human right. Hell, I deal with clients all day in a bad mood... I'm not throwing guns in their faces or threatening them. Police should be able to get the situations under control without using violence. The amount of black lives lost within the past 2 years and they didn't have weapons on them is crazy. The amount of video to prove they weren't in the wrong, more scary.
      I'm white, I had a uncle who was a Sargent in the force over 20 years and we both agree these "protectors" are out of control!

• It's sad that offices like your father are overwritten by the bad ones. Which I do apologize about, but the fake gun incident seems to be very minimal compared to many other cases. Especially the one as of recently where a delivery man in LA was on his bike and killed. Just because a neighbor near by was robbed 30 minutes prior, and since the 19 year kid was riding around on his bike. They thought it was him. He didn't even have a weapon, and they shot him because he had headphones in his ears, and was removing them to hear what they were saying.. Their excuse was that they thought he was reaching for a gun. For infact, he was just removing his earbuds to hear what they were saying. I'm sorry... that's just wrong.

• officers*

• Not all, but the ones who are will cause the profession to be hated.
    I'm a cop myself, and when I see such actions I feel some kind of pain, sadness, and anger; but sometimes I can't do a thing, to correct it. :(

• When cops are get away with attacking and killing people or animals without it being absolutely necessary, then yeah, I'd say they're out of control but I don't think anything is going to be done about it.

• Totally out of control!

• A cops job is to serve and protect. Don't doubt me, I have respect for them and what their MORAL code is, but just because you have a gun doesn't mean you can just shoot someone/something. You have to have reasonable doubt. Lately, they get away with murder... literally F-Ed up shit. But, they always have- you just hear about it more because of social media and news. #sandrabland

• I'm starting to think that the police academy is doing a piss poor job with training their cadets on how to accomplish their jobs in a successful, and professional manner. An assassin has the right to kill a few bystanders, but not a cop. It's just nutso what they can do, and receive paid leave?

• Some of them, not all.
    I know because, although I'm not one, I work with some of them (cops).

• Yes and its my damn taxes paying them

• officers*

• oops, that reply was for another post. My apologies. However, it's sad that were paying taxes for them to just go around, and do as they please. However, we need a better judicial system for when it comes to investigating, and punishing cops who have done wrong.

• I say yes. The problem is they're given so much leeway under the premise of "officer safety". They can basically do anything as long as they use this as an excuse. Now I'm not saying they are never in immediate danger but I think they've abused this.

What Guys Said 7

• Yes, that is why one US Presidential candidate wants to put a end to
    police brutality and I'm all for supporting it

• I think it depends greatly on where you are talking about. To paint all departments with a broad brush is unproductive. Bad departments tend to rot from the top down.

• Agreed, and many officers actually try to do their job well and uphold the law, but the ones who do wrong aren't really even being punished. The guy who shot my friends dog didn't even get in trouble. In fact, he's asking for them to euthanize the dog. Just because the dog accidentally got loose, and no one was hurt. The neighbors knew the dog, and were yelling at the officer to stop as he shot a poor puppy. This has got to stop. That cop should lose his job for this. Not get rewarded for fining a person, and then walking away by doing bad deeds. It's as if their telling society that they are better than the law.

• They are doing too much bad shit in such a short span of time. Just two days ago a guy was shot because he was mistaken for someone else and he was only 19

• www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Police-officer-Robert-Lasso-shot-dead-

"A police officer killed while responding to a domestic disturbance in a small eastern Pennsylvania borough had pointed a stun gun at two dogs before being shot, court records reveal.
    Freemansburg police officer Robert Lasso had pointed at the attacking dogs when the homeowner pulled out a shotgun and fired the fatal blast on Thursday evening.
    In police custody, the alleged gunman, 46-year-old George Hitcho Jr, said he had told Mr Lasso to get off his property and not come on unless he had a warrant, authorities said."

Well... cana anyone blame the citizen?

I would have done the same thing. Shotgun right in the face. I bet the corpse wasn't pretty, was it? :)

• By the law, the man was in the right, and the cop sadly lost his life, but he was in the wrong for doing so. The man has the right to protect his property from hard, and that even includes cops. A cop has a specific set of guide lines to which must be followed, and since the disturbance wasn't on that mans property. He's technically in the right.

• That was my point.

• Police are damn near terrorists. Watch some of the raid they do

• Abolish the police 2k15

• How can we have such high standards for cops yet treat them like they're lower than dirt at the same time. They are humans just like you and me. Some, SOME are out of control. Most are respectful and nice. People crap on the cops but when they hear a window break at 2 in the morning one night they cry and grovel for the cop to come save them.

• There's definitely not an absurd amount of bad cops. I believe there quite a few bad ones, but it seems to be more of an issue of cops being under trained. The way Sandra Bland was handled, and my friends dog. Was a scenario that by the book... should have never happened. Either this cops are becoming too jumpy, or they just aren't being trained well enough. It's a problem of not following procedure. Which is where we are running into such huge issues with cops over stepping their bounds. Yes, cops have a vital role in society, and one of my best friends is a cop and my neighbor is a cop. Both of them very good men, but they even think that the constant issues come from lack of training. They themselves have seen officers make poor choices, and honestly not know any better. In the words of the officer next door, "A cop trained poorly is the equivalence of sending a man to war without a gun."