Do you see seeing a psychologist as being weak?

If someone is seeing a psychologist do you see that person as being weak?

• Yes
  • No
  • Other (please explain)

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I don't think so. I've had a phase in my life when I was around 19-21 and struggling really, really hard for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I would sit on the computer through whole nights instead of sleeping, looking up fast and painless ways to commit suicide. Without going too much into details, I can tell you that it was a very, very rough time. One day I decided to ask my mom if she can look up a psychologist for me. I knew she would find me a good one because she happens to be a psychologist herself (obviously I didn't want to talk about it with her since she's my mom ;-)). She was very sweet about it (she had been worrying about me a lot and for a long time) and found a good psychologist that we both didn't know. So I started going to therapy first just to see what it's like and soon it became a regular thing. I ended up going there for more than a year, always once a week. I didn't feel weak when I was there. In fact, it made me feel great. Finally I had somebody who I could tell all my secrets to and I knew she wouldn't judge me. Sometimes I was pissed, sometimes really depressed... and she just took it all from me. My psychologist had a very Freudian approach to therapy (it's called "depth psychology"). In this school of psychology, a therapist asks almost no questions but simply lets his/her patient talk. Even if the patient doesn't seem to know anything anymore, they remain silent and wait for new input. In the beginning this felt quite weird. We would have these very long 2-3 minute intervals of just looking at each other silently. It felt awkward. But the more I went there, the more I actually started liking it. For the first time I had the possibility to talk about my worries and then simply go silent for a long time and think about how to express myself and finally continue without losing the other person's interest. I think getting all those things off my chest was a very, very good experience. Plus, my psychologist also did give me some pretty good life advice. So, speaking from personal experience I don't understand why many people feel some kind of weird pride and don't want to go there. Why would anyone choose being miserable or even killing themselves over a person who listens to all your stupid stories without even judging you in any way?

Most Helpful Girl

• no, it actually means that you're a strong person

What Guys Said 11

• Nope. Due to stupid societal beliefs, it takes a lot of courage to ask for help with our mental health.

I have gone to therapy and it's one of the greatest things I ever did. And if I ever thought I'd benefit from going back, I'd be in that chair in a heartbeat.

• Everybody needs a psychologist because no one's got a normal and a stable personality. We could come close to it but perfection can never be reached. On the contrary, i think that person is strong because they had the courage to face their problems and talk about them.

• Fuck no it is imperative that you do as well. The ones who are weak are those who put limitations on you because they are governed by societies "rules"

• I see that person as strong for putting the time in to get the help they need whatever the issue may.

• Nope not at all.

• No, they are taking advantage of an option that was giving to them to help with certain problems in their life. Everyone has problems in their life mine may just need a different solution.

• No, you have to do what you have to do.

• Nah, I go to one myself.

• not at all

• Absolutely not, it's incredibly brave.

• I did before I went.

If I hadn't, I don't want to think where I'd be right now.

What Girls Said 7

• not at all. taking the step to visit one requires great courage in itself.

• Not at all. I see it as strength because you finally realize and admit to yourself what needs to be done! Not only that but being brave enough to talk to a stranger!.

• No, it takes a very strong person to admit that they need help and can't continue doing what they're doing.

• It's never weak when you go to have some one help you when you truly need it.

• No, what's weak is turning to alcohol. drugs and cutting to solve their problems.

• That's like saying a person is dumb or lazy because they get their car engine fixed by a trained mechanic.

• A psychologist does not mean you have mental illness of some sort. We all need to talk to someone every once in a while and its always so much comfortable laying all your cards on the table to some stranger who is bound not to let any word you say out that door. It is such a relief