Degree ideas, please help?

So it's coming up to the time where I got to start look at university, next year to be exact is when I start to look. I want to do something to do with training I think, like a personal trainer or nutritionist like that, but what I'm wondering is what other routes are there? I'm extremely passionate about training and things like that so o think that this field would be a great path for me but I'm wondering what routes there are and what different opportunities there could be. Any help please

Most Helpful Girl

• You can do kinesiology and nutrition in university. There's physical therapy (college) or sports therapy (college).

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd suggest against personal training. It's full of scams and based on commission and not exactly needed to go through a university. Problem with personal training is that like.. 95% of trainers outright suck. Plus if you're a good trainer, your clients may actually run away when they see that being in shape requires actual work. So in some ways if you want to keep your clients you'd almost have to suck. There are trainers who can tell you their clients stop coming because the trainer actually makes them well... train. Ironically, all you'd really need to get into a gym is a silly piece of paper from NASM or those other dumb "schools."

The paths personal trainers take is usually working in a big chain gym. Thing is they don't want to stay there because every appointment is commission and the gym takes a huge chunk of that commission. So the trainer basically wants to build up a huge client base then form some sort of private gym on his own somewhere then when he has a big enough name and reputation, quit the gym and tell all his clients he quit there but would be willing to privately train clients. This cuts the gym being the middleman but you'd only want to do this after having a big enough fan base. I'd also strongly recommend having a big social media presence for this to work.

If you got into nutrition you'd be much better route probably if you're involving a university and such and there would be a lot to explore.

What Girls Said 4

• PT (Physical Therapy) or OT (Occupational Therapy) seems right up your alley (assuming you're willing to study you ass off in premed). There's also Nutrition & Epidemiology. Quite a few people I knew were combining those 2 fields (in the US) because most the Baby Boomer Generation is set up to develop diabetes.

• An excellent field would also be physical therapy. You would have a ton of opportunities available to you.

• Exercise Science or Health and Human Performance?

• Are you good at science? Maybe kinesiology (sp?) or sports psychology.

What Guys Said 10

• Do Kinesiology or Physiotherapy.
    As people start paying more attention to fitness , with fitness also comes injuries. There's lots of money in that and you get to give advice to people about how to stay fit and be healthy.
    Go there I say.

• Personnally I cannot help you because I'm not knowledgeable about shit when it comes to health and fitness I just do it.

But a youtuber (Elliott Hulse) would help you a lot just search 'elliott hulse personal trainer' or look for the videos that'll help you.. I highly recommend it

Goodluck!

• I think being a nutritionist would be a better path, a lot of personal trainers don't exactly have the best credentials. Sports therapy would also be a great choice if you're also interested in health science.

• Kinesiology and Nutritionist are both good options. A personal trainer? Not so much - go to some gyms and their 'personal trainers' have maybe taken a weekend long course.

• Be careful not to study in a subject that is your hobby. Keep them separate.

• college is a waste unless it's medicine or stem

• Depends, do you want to be poor?
    If not: STEM, nursing, or something medical. That's it.

• Look into physiotherapy

• If you're into fitness/health then sport science is a good degree, it can open doors in many fields. My cousin did that and now he's a trainee physician at a top football team in the UK.

Or graphic design, which I did, it's not a very academic course but very creative it's fun. Now I'm a graphic designer at a top news paper.

• Whatever you do make sure you can get a job with your degree. Some people major in things like philosophy or history and the only job they can get with that is teacher.