What was your favorite children's literature when you were growing up?

My favorite children's book was probably Scott o Dell's Island of the Blue Dolphins, which I read to my students every year.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ah. "His heart beat once, twice, then no more " Cried like a baby when Rontu died. Fabulous book.

• I have read that book every year to my students ever since I first started teaching. Rontu's death STILL chokes me up.

• By the way, when our beloved dog had to be euthanized, I held him in my arms. I was the first human being to touch him, and the last to touch him. I was reminded of Karana and Rontu.

Most Helpful Guy

• Treasure Island by Stevenson
    Uncle Tom's Cabin by Beecher Stowe
    Huckleberry Finn
    translations of Karl May's adventure books
    Jules Verne's 20,000 miles under the Sea in translation

• Could you tell me about the Karl May adventure books? That's the only one on your list I'm not familiar with.

• German 19twenties writer , wrote novels about Indians and trappers in America (& Mexico too) and about travels in the Ottoman empire. Lots of details about habits, mentality and language, correct as far as I can verify. (K. May wrote if all without ever leaving his city Bamberg where he taught) Probably read a lot himself, used encyclopedies etc.

What Girls Said 9

• I used to read Magyk by Angie Sage a lot. I also enjoyed reading The Divide by Elizabeth Kay. A little earlier before I got onto those, I'd probably read every Jacqueline Wilson book, and I loved all of the Beatrix Potter stories.

• What is Magyk about?

• It's awesome and I'm going to have to be spoilery here to properly describe it, sorry! <3 It's the first book in the Septimus Heap series, it's a story about a baby girl who was found abandoned in the snow and was brought home by a man. His wife was having a baby that day and, as he got back, the midwife runs out with the child and says he's dead. The man and his wife decide to raise the girl in place of their dead son. Now, the dead child was the seventh son of the seventh son meaning that he would be extremely powerful if he had lived. Eventually, they discover that the midwife had faked the baby's death and had really kidnapped him to give him as an apprentice to an evil wizard. The rest of the series is about Septimus - the boy who had been taken - and Jenna, the girl who had been raised in her place. There's a lot of fantasy in the story, and it's about each child discovering who they really are and struggling to stay safe from anyone who wants to hurt them.

• Sounds interesting.

• Matilda by Roald Dahl. Because who doesn't love an adorable, genius, bookworm of a female protagonist?

• Island of the Blue Dolphins was one of my very favorites as well. Other than that... The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle and Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George just to name a few.

I also loved anything by R. L Stein and Roald Dahl.

• Ah yes, Hatchet. I liked that, too.

Have you heard of a book called The Martian?

• If you liked Island of the Blue Dolphins and you like science, you might want to consider The Martian. It's like Island of the Blue Dolphins for grown ups. It's about an astronaut abandoned on Mars and how he must fight for survival. The science is spot on! Great book!

• That sounds like it would be good! Thanks for the recommendation!

• I owned that book as a child but never read it.

I loved Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

• The complete takes of Winnie the Pooh. I still read that now, when I'm feeling off.

• Whoops. Tales.
      And Where the Sidewalk Ends and pretty much anything by Shel Silverstein and also anything by Roald Dahl. And probably any story with the gold foil binding. I also had this giant book of dinosaurs which was amazing and a book of like, 101 science experiments to do at home. I don't know if those can be considered children's lit but... :T

• Kids love dinosaurs. Not so young ones, too. ;)

• Do you mean really little. Because when I was three I loved "The Gas We Pass"

• Doctor suess

• I have a friend who can, at will, rhyme like Dr. Seuss.

• the hobbit.

• I'm one of the few people who likes fantasy literature but didn't much care for the Hobbit. :(

• I was an adult when Harry Potter was first published. I know those books appeal to some adult (my math teacher friend LOVES them), but they don't appeal to me.

I liked the Narnia series, but I didn't love it. To be clear, I L-O-V-E-D!!! the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I just didn't like The Hobbit.

• I get that. and yeah tlor is my favorite book of all time too.

• Wishbone
    The Hardy Boys
    The Undersea discoveries of Jacques-Yves Cousteau, not really childrens books but i loved to read them growing up.

• I was a boy when Cousteau was making documentaries. I could listen to his voice all day, to say nothing of the fact his movies were outstanding.

• I grew up watching VHS tapes of his documentaries too, definitely one of my fave people.

• I read thes too , did see his movies also.

What Guys Said 3

• The Swallows and Amazons series of sailing adventures by Arthur Ransome. A set of 12, with an unfinished 13th. Some were based on true places in the UK, close to where I live. It was every Ransom's disciple's dream to sail to Secret Water, the Walton Backwaters in Esse behind the town of Walton-on-the-Naze.

• I love sailing. I'm going to have to look into that.

• There are also four modern works by Julia Jones based on Swallows and Amazons. Some remarkably similar names like Nancy (one of the Amazon pirates) becomes Xanthe. Of course, there are several biographies of Aurthur Ransom.

• Dude you are teacher that's awesome!!! 😄

My favorite children's books were the Magic Tree house books!

I also enjoyed reading, Goose Bumps but only the Goose Bumps books where you could choose your own fate

They would ask you a question at the end of a chapter and depending on your answer it would say something like "turn to page 42 to enter the abondoned house"

• Ah yes, the choose your own adventure series. They're not very popular among my students these days. Don't know why.

• Hmm, kids have changed lol!
      i am glad to hear they read something though... its sad to see people dont read books like they used too in my opinion

• So many,

The Sword In the Stone
    The Jungle Books
    The Hornblower Books
    The Sherlock Holmes Stories
    The Hobbit
    The White Company
    The Time Machine
    Ivanhoe
    The Talisman
    The Leatherstocking Books
    Treasure Island
    Kidnapped

I could go on and on

• Wow. I didn't start reading Hornblower novels until I was in my twenties.

I love Treasure Island. My father told me to read Kidnapped, yet I never got around to it.

• Have you read 'Rifleman Dodd' or 'The Gun'? The former was the inspiration for the Sharpe novels.

• No, I haven't read either of them.