Becoming an RN with a DUI?

I know this is not a site that usually caters to such questions, however, I'm running out of places to look for answers. I recieved a first offense, misdemeanor DUI about a year and a half ago in Georgia, though I live in South Carolina. I used to be a medic, and am trying desperately to get back into medicine, because I am quite frankly a rather depressed fish out of water in anything else.

I talked to SCBON a while back, and the woman I spoke with said that recieving my license wouldn't exactly be an issue, but that still leaves getting into a nursing program, being able to do clinicals, and getting a job. I spoke to a few people at a local school, and they said that the hospital they go through won't let you do clinicals until seven years have passed, but that was all of the information I could gather. I haven't been able to get anything else from anyone, save for vague assumptions. If anyone on here could shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.

Also, with all due respect, if you don't know what you're talking about, please don't reply. I hold no regard for answers from people who are speaking above their paygrade.

What Girls Said 1

• So- I hope that I am not, as you say speaking above my paygrade... but in Oregon, where I practice, a recent DUI can be an impediment, from getting into a quality nursing school, to taking the NCLEX, and most importantly, getting a nursing job. It seems that the farther back in time that the DUI took place though, the less of an impediment it becomes. The only way to find out is to call your State nursing board and ask the hard questions. Good luck. It is worth it-you should give it a go.

• I tried asking about that, and they didn't really have any answers for me. They said they don't exactly keep up on all of the details. (I don't know if I buy that, though.)

What Guys Said 0