Would you cover for your friend if they were cheating on their partner?

I recently listened to this Bill Burr podcast where one of his fans asked for his opinion on a situation. This guy was dating a girl who adamantly proclaimed to hate cheaters yet she was more than happy to cover for her best girlfriend who was going behind her boyfriend's back.

So I'm just curious how many people are like that where they claim to hate cheaters but if one of their friends is the one doing it then they'll look the other way.

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe

Most Helpful Girl

• I just love how the title of the video suggests this hypocrisy only exists in the female gender. Meanwhile in the real world, there are so many guys willing to even actively cover up for their brothers, friends and what not than I can count with both hands and feet while still demanding loyalty from their own girlfriends and wives.

• I didn't title the video. The title of the video was likely chosen based on the subject line of the email that he received. He's a comedian and his podcast is like a q&a /advice column. Or maybe it was just to attract views.

In the real world I think the percentage of guys who cheat and the percentage of girls who cheat are about the same, maybe guys cheat at a slightly higger frequency but it's close. I think it was like 40% of girls and 55% of guys addmitted to cheating or something like that. Alao that while girls are less likely to cheat they are more likely to get away with it.

Anyways I don't think anyone denies that guys cheat, the male gender is generally labeled as the cheating gender.

• I didn't say all girls only cheat for revenge, just saying that the discrepancy of those 20% and 40% might be revenge cheaters. So that still leaves 20% who cheat because they wanted or needed it.

Yes, that's insult to injury as much as it's insult to injury to find out that a part of your husband's paychecks that suddenly goes missing is sent to his second family he doesn't tell you about.

• But she's not directly paying for a child that isn't hers and she isn't being tricked into believing a child is hers when it's actually not.

Most Helpful Guy

• I was in this situation once actually. One of my very best friends had a short-term affair (few weeks) with another girl while having a long-term girlfriend. Since he also regarded me as one of his very best friends, he told me about it and asked for advice. I was totally shocked because he was one of the last people that I thought would do something like this. He regretted his actions but also said that it had been a very nice experience since his girlfriend was the only girl he had ever had sex with before this affair. Me being a little younger and more emotional and today (I was maybe 23 or so), I got super pissed at my best friend because I liked his girlfriend quite a lot (as a buddy I mean) and I felt very bad for her. So instead of giving my best friend some good advice how to get out of this mess again, I yelled at him and went home. At home, I sat on my computer and wrote a long email to his girlfriend, where I told her everything. What I didn't know back then: this was only the beginning of the real drama. Obviously, my best guy friend was super pissed at me. But more surprisingly, his girlfriend also didn't react in the way I had expected. Instead of thanking me for telling her about it, she reacted in a very cold, distant way, saying that it's none of my business (I was also giving her the advice to break up with my best friend). After several weeks of pure drama, I ended up being the loser. My best friend broke up the friendship with me because he felt like I had abused his trust (which he is right about) and his girlfriend didn't want to talk with me anymore because she said I'm too nosy and smartassing people. So while I only wanted to help, I ended up losing everything. Now, several years later, my best friend and me talk again but our relationship has become very superficial and more of "let's-try-to-be-polite-to-each-other" type of thing. It makes me incredibly sad when I think of all the great memories we have together... it was so not worth it. My best friend and his girlfriend came together again but a bit later she cheated on him and eventually broke up with him.
    Now that I'm older and wiser, I've adopted my home country's favorite policy: neutrality. I'm now being very "Swiss" about these things. Other relationships are none of my business anymore and I don't want them to be. If a friend cheats on his girlfriend, I will tell him it's probably not a good idea but I will keep out of it 100%. People have to live their own lives...

• I'm really not sure how I'd act, I think id just try my best to convince my friend to break up with her. Personally I HATE the idea of a girl going behind my back and hope that if someone knew that they'd tell me :/

So why wasn't she bothered when you told her he cheated? Was she cheating back then too or did she only cheat AFTER she found out about him cheating?

• know, people always talk so much about "loyality" but what they mean is usually sexual loyality. However, sexual loyality is only one part of it. My girlfriend is one of the sweetest and most loyal people I've ever known- and she would still be that way if she ended up sleeping with another guy. Just one example: I have a strong visual disability since I was born. I am almost blind on both eyes and I've had some very rough times to go through. Yet, my girlfriend was always on my side. She cancels on other things to come to my regular doctor's appointments with me. When I had an eye surgery last year and had to stay in the hospital, she was there, next to my bed from the early mornings to the late evenings. She even brought her school work to the hospital to be with me. She helps me take my eye drops or takes my arm when I don't see enough somewhere. From her actions i can feel how deep her love for me must be and I think that this loyality is worth so much more than sexual loyality.

• I see your point but personally I wouldn't be ok with my girlfriend having sex with another man. I don't know maybe it's because I'm a virgin or maybe it's just my ego but in my mind if my girlfriend is not sexually exclusive to me then I wouldn't want to be sexually exclusive to her.

What Girls Said 8

• Ohhhhhh no. I am good at keeping secrets but not about that. I'd rat them out so fast.

• That is so scummy. I would try to talk them out of it and then let their partner know either way

• I wouldn't lie for them but I wouldn't rat them out either. I would tell them that I disagree with what they're doing, probably even sound upset that they can treat someone like that and inform them that they're one day going to get discovered.

• No way. I don't want anything to do with it.

• Nope, I won't.

• I wouldn't rat him/her out but I wouldn't cover for them either.

• It's none of my business to get involved in my best friend's matters. I would only advise them against it. I would never rat them out though.

• I've been in that situation, though I didn't know for sure - only had suspicions.

I'd prefer that my cheating friend kept me out of it entirely. I can scold them til in blue in the face, but rarely does it make a difference. The same goes for telling - the other partner rarely believes it until they're ready.

What Guys Said 8

• Hard call - If a friend was cheating, I would not seek out his partner and tell her but if she asked me directly I would not cover for him.

• I don't think I would betray my friend, but at the same time this kind of behavior would make me want to separate myself from them.

• Firstly, I would tell my friend that if I'm ever asked, I will tell the truth. I would encourage him/her to end it, and/or tell his/her partner and ask for forgiveness.

I wouldn't tell unless I was asked. Then I would tell the truth.

• No, I wouldn't.

• No if you tell me ill find a way to warn your par partner

• bit hypocritical if you ask me but there we go...

• I'd probably just cut them off.

The sucker getting cheated on, male or female, probably is no better than the trash cheating on them. And cheaters are trash and I won't spend my time with them. And anything I say to change the behavior will probably be ignored anyway, so I'll mind my own business, let them fuck up their own lives, and go about my own life minus them being in it.

• I would stay out of if I could. If I was asked point blank I would say it was not my business.