What is with westerners' obsession over child molestation?

I am being 100% honest here, I do not understand. Of course, I don't want my children to be molested (who would?) but compared to the Middle East, Asia, and Africa, the West seems way more phobic to child molestation.

I mean, my principal had to go to court because he was restraining this girl student and her mom fucked out. And my principal is a really nice guy - my father has known him for years.

Most Helpful Guy

• There was a scare in the US around the 80's and everyone was fkn freaked thinking that there we pedos everywhere just waiting to snatch their kids. It became a part of western thinking, now people never leave their kids alone outside and become immediately suspicious of adult men around children. People used to just say to their kids, go play outside, and they'd basically lock them out of the house during the day on the weekends. You were meant to go explore and dick around with friends and throw rocks at shit then come home for dinner.

There's a guy that does vids were he goes to public places and says to the parents that he's doing a test to see if kids will go with him, then he approaches the kids with candy or puppies or whatever and they often go with him. This points out that if there really was a real threat of child snatchers out there then kids would be disappearing left and right. But I think once you've injected that paranoia into people it's not going away anytime soon.

More and more male teachers refuse to be alone with a female students, there's such a fear of sexual accusations that they will usually at least keep the door to the room open in the hopes that other people might have witnessed the truth if a girl makes accusation.

People should drop this craziness in my opinion.

What Girls Said 4

• I don't know... I guess it kind of makes sense though even if it is a little overboard

• I know this might sound stupid.. and correct me if I am wrong but most westerners face disconnect from their family at a young age.. and I believe that creates a big difference

• In some countries in those regions/continents young people are married off below the legal age and no one bats an eye. So, it's more of a, turn the cheek on what age is considered old enough and what is considered consent issue. America is messed up in a lot of ways, but at least we try to protect children.

The scenario you provided could use some further explaining before people can really get a full picture. Just because the guy was nice to you doesn't mean he couldn't be terrible to other people.

• molestation is fucked up... nerve wrecking and can cause mental issues... it leaves a big scar to a kid.. and fucks up the poor kids image.

What Guys Said 4

• If I may be completely honest (I think I'm about to start a war here) I think feminism has a lot to do with it. You don't see this same kind of zeal with male children but you do with females. It has essentially created an illusion in the populaces mind that men are rapist and pedophiles and can't be trusted (ironic since the vast majority of cases of sexual molestation in schools for instance are almost all female perpetrators) and this has resulted in a paranioa about the issue.

• It's actually mostly Americans. We don't really have this in Europe. I also find it pretty crazy. Americans love to have arch enemies of the state. A few decades ago it used to be the communists. Now the communists don't exist anymore cuz they've all become capitalists so now it's child molesters, rapists, islamist terrorists and, depending on where you are in the US, gays.

• Pherhaps our being so phobic is why it's worse elsewhere?

• I don't understand

• People who guard against something more staunchly tend to suffer from it less... so if we are guarding against it more sternly then maybe that's why it is happening more elsewhere where they are not as "over" protective?

• It's funny that mostly men are targeted for this. When I was in middleschool one of the teachers grabbed my groin, and in highschool I had sexual relations with a woman in her 30's. Granted now that I look back, this woman had serious mental issues , and insecurities outside of just being a pedophile.