Would you judge a person based on their past?

Let's face it, no one's perfect. No one is a saint, we've all made mistakes or have regrets. Would you judge a person on the mistakes they have made in the past? Will you hold their past against them?

• Yes I would
  • No I wouldn't

Most Helpful Guy

• Judge? Yes.

Hold it against them? Depends on what it was.

Judgement is crucial to your own safety. If you didn't judge people you'd get robbed or beaten or worse.

What Guys Said 9

• Of course: drugs, criminal record. Not their 'sins'

• Depends on their past lol

Have a habit of killing people - no thanks
    known to cheat an lie - no thanks

• yes I would

We all have a past and we all make mistakes but we don't all have the same past and we don't all make the same mistakes. Some pasts are objectively worse than others. If you can't judge a person by their choices and actions then what can you judge them on

• Of course I would, but it matters if they have learned from their mistakes and the severity of what they have done.

• Well it all depends on how bad their past is!!!
    If its normal and acceptable then i would stay
    But if it is bad enough then i may not stay...
    But i won't hold it against them...

• i said no because we shouldn't judge, although we do and but we should not forget what they have done, if this is a past mistake they would never do again then forgiveness which should come anyway will come easily

• I really wouldn't

• We are our past, so yes, we all judge and are being judged by our past.

• I never judge someone for their past unless they say this
    http://d2ws0xxnnorfdo.cloudfront.net/meme/443797

• LOL! :D Okk I guess I should've mentioned there are exceptions :P

What Girls Said 12

• the only thing i thought of in this case was a history. i didn't even want to lie. i voted yes.

I'm really picky when it comes to dating. if i know about a dark or tainted history i will subconsciously be immediately turned off, even if i want to believe he's a great person.

i do try to work on this, but at the moment it is a weakness. or a strength. I don't know, depends.

• Nope as long as they don't do it now then it's fine. It's in the past and all I care about is who they are now.

If you hold someones past against them. For someone who deeply regrets what they did and have been working their ass off to improve. You are basically slapping them as hard as you possibly can with what they did. They know what they did and rather not bring it up because they are beating themselves up over it already. How the hell can those people get out of the hole they created and become a better person. When others keep using it to make sure they can't over come it?

• What you did in your past reveals qualities about your character. Whatever motivated you to do A, B and C in the past will most-likely motivate you again sometime in your future. Knowing how you reacted to that motivation (and the motivation itself) will help determine the limits of what you're willing to do in certain situations.

This information is particularly important when you consider the intentional/nonintentional factor in said actions.

All this is valuable information and will help you determine whether or not your limits are compatible with their limits (& give you a good general idea of the chances of success in a relationship with that person).

• I think I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have an opinion however I would most likely keep it to myself, it would just be one of those first reaction kind of things, however I wouldn't ever hold it against them. A persons past is before me and there's no sense in getting my panties in a twist over something I have no control over x

• yes i would

• What matters is how they are now and how they are with me!

• Yes, everyone is a sum of their experiences.

• It all depends on the type of mistakes.. I would forgive drug abuse, alcoholism, slap in the face perhaps cheating.. but I would never forgive rape, theft, murder, physical abuse..

• You get jjudged even if its wrong

• Life sucks, people always judge! Why shouldn't I do the same thing?
    Yet I won't.

• i wouldn't and i expect people not to do the same to me

• It depends