Do you believe everyone has a tiny bit of racism in them?

I'm a guy who wouldn't call myself racist and like to have friends of all races and can find women of all races attractive.

I never use racist terminology even if I'm amongst only members of my own race and I cringe when other people do.

However, many people say that all people are at least a bit racist deep down and subconciously commit small acts of racism without realizing it such as assuming the Asian kid will be better at maths or that white people are safer to approach than black people.
I myself am probably guilty of some of these kinds of things

So how about you, do you think everyone does have at least some racism in them even if they don't think they do?

• I don't have a racist bone in my body
  • I'm probably subconsciously racist against blacks
  • I'm probably subconsciously racist against whites
  • I'm probably subconsciously racist against Asians
  • I'm probably subconsciously racist against piebalds
  • I'm flat out racist against everyone other than my own race
  • Everyone is slightly racist

Most Helpful Girl

• everyone is a slight racist, it may not be blatant, but it is in there somewhere, escpecially in todays society, with all the racism crap that is going on right now, everyone has to pick a side, either way you go, someone will call you a rasict

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 6

• I think so yes, thanks to what society looks like today it's hard to get rid of this subconscious racism that's more based on assumptions and such. Even if we don't have racist parents that help us become racist in our upbringing, we're still subject to small (and some big) racist undertones all the time that a lot of us just accept and think nothing of.

But it's good to realize that there's at least a tiny bit of racism in all of us. It helps us get rid of it, all these small assumptions and thoughts that are ingrained in us thanks to our surroundings. If you're completely ignorant to it and think of yourself as some angel who don't do any harm, stop kidding yourself. I'm confident enough to say that pretty much everyone has had racist thoughts in the past. Like you said, such as assuming that the Asian kid will be better at math, or assuming your doctor is white before meeting them, or assuming that the black kid isn't doing too well in school etc.

• sure i think so.
    i think we all have our moments, whether theyre obvious or not.

• Its ok to judge in their minds but not ok to taunt and bully others because they don't agree with someone 's appearances.

• I'll admit it. I've both said and done racist things and been subject to racist things being said and done to me. I think studies have shown that most people are a bit skeptical of people who are "outsiders" to their group. So people who grow up in mixed race environments may not be racists to the two groups they're around a lot, but racist to a third group who is more rare to them. Etc.

• As regards to myself- I'd be lying if i said , " no"

• Personally I don't believe people are slightly racist. I do believe however, that most people do already have preconceived notions of races, which I don't feel necessarily makes them racist, rather just ignorant.

What Guys Said 8

• When you grow up with parents who didn't see a black person until they came to the USA you are bound to hold some sort of prejudice in your life

When I was younger, my mom would not like me hanging out with black kids or inviting them over
    But as I grew up and she further assimilated and made black friends herself she really opened up 😄

Yesterday my friend Andrew stopped by my house and my mom gave him a hug, he is black lol!
    But she realizes all her prejudice was basically based on what others had told her as a child...

So yeah I can invite my black friends over the house now 😄

I was a bit prejudice when I was younger but now idgaf

• It's human nature to hate those who are different. It was initially important and even life saving. Imagine the Native Americans who were racist against the white man who came over here. The ones who were racist and ran away survived the slaughter and small pox.
    Now in a more civilized society it's no longer okay, but it's hard to shake a biological trait that we only stopped needing just a few hundred years ago. Evolution takes thousands if not millions of years so it'll be a long time before we stop being naturally racist.

• I'm not racist since I love all the races of the world especially their women but don't get me wrong I'll make jokes with your race's stereotype as well as my own

• And whether or not that's racist in itself is subject to debate

• Well it's not like I'm making a rally to go lynch white peoples black people Asians etc while having hitler's messy hair and making a hate speech if people find stereotypes extremely racist then they really are sensitive pussies...

• That's one side of it

• I agree with the anon girl. I'll admit that there are preconceived stereotypes about races, including my own, that I sometimes use to justify peoples actions or way of thinking, but I would never admit to that being "slightly racist".

• People may feel uncomfortable with it but yes, we've all (at least in western society) been taught to sub-consciously hold prejudices.

Also, maybe it's just human nature to hold prejudices at something different.

• No, but almost everyone is at least slightly racist.

• Yep. Everyone's racist. Some are just in denial.

• If you mean they prefer people who look like them then yes. I think that's instinct.

If you mean what racism used to me before it's definition was expanded so that no one can escape it, that one set of people, grouped by appearance, is innately better or more worthy than another, no, most people nowadays are not racist by that more limited definition.