Any good character ideas for a story?

Well I'm writing a story and I'm stuck on some of the characters. Let's just say I'm really bad at coming up with them. Any good ideas you know would be gladly appreciated! Whether it's a name, a look, or just a personality I'd really appreciate it!

Most Helpful Guy

• You can always check TVTropes. org (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage), they've got a ton of character archetypes and tropes that can help, as well as a writer's corner for struggling writers in their forum.

Might I suggest a Knight Templar, with a hint of Jerkass With A Heart of Gold? (Just check the site for those phrases if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

Most Helpful Girl

• A good way to practice coming up with characters is to go out to a coffee shop or some other public place and people watch (eavesdrop a little too if you can). When you see an interesting person, try to dream up a backstory as to how they got to be where they are that day.

Fully fleshed out characters take some time to develop. You're essentially telling the story to do this and make the character grow. You don't really have to know where they're going or how they are in the beginning, but you have to know how the events in your story will shape them.

• Writer's Digest is good for these types of exercises and workshops too.

• Thanks so much!

What Guys Said 1

• What's the story about

What Girls Said 1

• It depends on what the story is about. If I know more, like a basic plot outline or a genre, I can try and suggest something :)