Should I take a year off from college?

At my school I cannot take a semester off, it has to be a year, unfortunately. I am just not happy, and i think, happiness is the most important thing/value/characteristic that someone should have. If you are not happy, how will you succeed mentally, physically, and emotionally? I dont feel that I am mature enoguh to do college right now. I wasted $30,000 of my trustfund money for college already with bad grades. I am 95% sure I want to be a lawyer too. Can someone please help me? I am worried that if I take a year, I am doing it because im lazy. I can't decifer with what i should or should not do. Thanks :)

Most Helpful Guy

• No, you will likely not get back to school and finish. Most people who take a year off never go back.

You need to assess and commit yourself. If you can't get decent grades - figgure out why. Even with limited intelligence you can do it through hard work.

You would think that spending yoru own money would make you a bit more responsbile. If you can't stick this out, you wonn't be able to stick a job out.

As an employer, thats one thing I look for when I interview college grads. Its not as much about what you learn but can you do it, and can you focus on a goal. If you take time off, screw around for a bit... thats a red flag and a pass from me.

Buckle down and work harder. If you have to get some new friends or booze less - then do it. A college education can change the trajectory of your life. Don't miss it or you will be sorry in years to come.

Most Helpful Girl

• Would taking the year off help you to deal with your problems or would it just put them off? It seems like you might wind up more depressed if you had nothing to do. Most colleges have free counseling for students that can really help.

What Guys Said 5

• I don't know Allie. Unless you have a very clear plan for how you'd use that time, you're best off sticking it out and getting your degree I think. How many years do you have left?

• Do what you feel you need to do, though I'd go talk to you adviser about it first. You're 20, taking a year off college is nothing and it could do you a lot of good. It might give you time to consider what you really want to do with your life, since you can't be a lawyer if you're getting bad grades and aren't motivated.

• I think you should. It would be very good for you and help assist you with decisions for your future. Schooling isn't everything and I think its good for people to step back and asses their situations with scrutiny before taking action towards it

• im at the same position. some people can say u will lose a year.. but what is important its what u gonna do on that year? travel? find your selfe work? get mature? u have too know right on the way what u gonna do in that here

• We talking leaving the local college or leaving Harvard here

What Girls Said 0