Do Boards of Education determine how grading works?

One time when I moved I thought it was incredibly stupid that it 64% and below was an F, when most schools it is 59% and below. Each letter grade should be 10%, and then once you get below 60 that's a failure. IT makes sense that way. Then some schools have - or +, and some may not, but I always thought that was really stupid.

What Girls Said 1

• It depends on where you live. Here, it's the provincial governments that set the standard for grading. Anything below 50% is a failing grade here. 51-59% is a D, 60-69% is a C, 70-79% is a B, and 80-100% is an A, all with the - and + letter grades included.

Usually it is state or provincial governments who set grades in the US and Canada. I'm not sure how it works in other countries.

• 80% is an A? Seems too easy

• Well, that's how they do AP/Honors... so that makes sense... but still a bit strange.

• In university, it's not uncommon for a failing grade to be 60 or even 70% in some classes. But in grade school, the minimum requirements can't be that strict otherwise very few students would be graduating at 17/18. It would cost a lot of taxpayer money to keep so many people in public schools for longer than that.

What Guys Said 0