I'm for capitalism. No one's going to be motivated to become doctors, scientists or teachers when they can work fast food for the same living; also, if $#!+ hits the fan, is everyone supposed to be poor?
Or to explain it better, imagine making a 100% on your test to raise your grade for a class from a C to a B and a classmate of yours slacks off and makes a 0%, but your teacher takes your scores and gives each of you a 50% average. That, in my opinion, is socialism.
My parents grew up poor, but my mom went to college and now she's a cardiologist; my dad did work at the newspaper, but he now takes care of us and performs house tasks. My mom works late often, and she even works weekends sometimes, but she's definitely come a long way from how she grew up.
- Capitalism. You need to work for success.50% (8)65% (15)59% (23)Vote
- Socialism. Every job must provide the same.50% (8)35% (8)41% (16)Vote
Most Helpful Girl
I didn't vote for either because I feel like there should be a happy medium. I don't believe everyone deserves equal pay for working entirely different jobs, but I do believe that food, shelter, water, health care, and education should be a basic human right. I just find it absolutely ridiculous for the wealthiest 1% of the world can have more money than the rest of the 99% combined. That's more money than anyone knows what to do with, and it isn't necessary. Don't get me wrong, people should be rewarded for their hard work and determination, but a little regulation of wealth would be of better use to make a whole population successful as well. Capitalism is a selfish system and creates a huge disparity of wealth, socialism cares for anyone and everyone and ensures equal opportunity for all. Both systems on their own will not benefit us, but a mixture of the two would. That's my opinion anyways, feel free to disagree. I just find it hard to be content with a system that does not allow for everyone to be healthy, safe, and happy.0
Most Helpful Guy
I don't think you actually know what socialism is. Americans still think of socialism as something related to the Soviet Union or even North Korea where everyone walks around in dirty old rags and a crazy dictator puts you in prison for saying something wrong. It's a very naive and misinformed view of socialism.
I come from a socialist country (it's called democratic socialism to be exact) and I would take it any any day over the extra super duper capitalist USA. You really wanna talk wealth of capitalist and socialist nations? You really wanna go down that road? How come Norway is number 6 in wealth per capita but America is only number 10? How come Finland has one of the best education systems while American public schools suck and only kids with rich parents get the chance to have a decent education? Why does Switzerland have a murder/homicide rate of 47 people per 100,000 and Denmark has a rate of 49 people per 100,000 but the United States has a rate of almost 15,000 per 100,000? How come there are hardly any teenager pregnancies in Switzerland, the Netherlands or Scandinavia but there are tons of them in the US? Why do more than 50% of Americans have to work a second job if the system works so great? Why is the life expectancy lower than in Switzerland or Scandinavian countries?
I could go on and on. All of these factors define how well a country is doing. Every year there is a research being conducted by the UN that determines which nation is the happiest in the world (it's calculated with factors such as these). Interestingly, the people from Denmark have beaten the rest of the world over and over again in the past few years, with Switzerland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland and Iceland all being in the top 10. America was somewhere down in the 30s or early 40s. How come?
I don't intend to bash America here. I love America. But I don't think you know what you're talking about. You've been indoctrinated with some stupid hate of socialism and now you spew as much socialism hatred as you can and even confuse it with communism.
It's also funny that you talk about capitalism and then tell us about your hard working parents. Because America is one of the least capitalist countries in the world. I know Americans love to believe they're living in this awesome, perfect capitalist system but what it really is it's a plutocracy. This whole sentimentality about capitalism is a myth from back in the 1950 (when it was actually true). Oh let's not forget4
- Show AllShow Less