Would you rather have capitalism or socialism?

I'm for capitalism. No one's going to be motivated to become doctors, scientists or teachers when they can work fast food for the same living; also, if $#!+ hits the fan, is everyone supposed to be poor?

Or to explain it better, imagine making a 100% on your test to raise your grade for a class from a C to a B and a classmate of yours slacks off and makes a 0%, but your teacher takes your scores and gives each of you a 50% average. That, in my opinion, is socialism.

My parents grew up poor, but my mom went to college and now she's a cardiologist; my dad did work at the newspaper, but he now takes care of us and performs house tasks. My mom works late often, and she even works weekends sometimes, but she's definitely come a long way from how she grew up.

• Capitalism. You need to work for success.
  • Socialism. Every job must provide the same.

Most Helpful Girl

• I didn't vote for either because I feel like there should be a happy medium. I don't believe everyone deserves equal pay for working entirely different jobs, but I do believe that food, shelter, water, health care, and education should be a basic human right. I just find it absolutely ridiculous for the wealthiest 1% of the world can have more money than the rest of the 99% combined. That's more money than anyone knows what to do with, and it isn't necessary. Don't get me wrong, people should be rewarded for their hard work and determination, but a little regulation of wealth would be of better use to make a whole population successful as well. Capitalism is a selfish system and creates a huge disparity of wealth, socialism cares for anyone and everyone and ensures equal opportunity for all. Both systems on their own will not benefit us, but a mixture of the two would. That's my opinion anyways, feel free to disagree. I just find it hard to be content with a system that does not allow for everyone to be healthy, safe, and happy.

• Effectively what you've just described is Socialism.
      Also, from an economic standpoint, a "mixture of the two" doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. It wouldn't really be possible. Not trying to hate on your opinion or something, as I understand your concern. I just think that it'd have to be something different from both Capitalism and Socialism rather than a happy-medium of the two, but even that would be difficult. They're really big building blocks of the two differing economic paradigms. It'd be a bit like saying how can we make a better pb&j without peanut butter and jelly and something new?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think you actually know what socialism is. Americans still think of socialism as something related to the Soviet Union or even North Korea where everyone walks around in dirty old rags and a crazy dictator puts you in prison for saying something wrong. It's a very naive and misinformed view of socialism.
    I come from a socialist country (it's called democratic socialism to be exact) and I would take it any any day over the extra super duper capitalist USA. You really wanna talk wealth of capitalist and socialist nations? You really wanna go down that road? How come Norway is number 6 in wealth per capita but America is only number 10? How come Finland has one of the best education systems while American public schools suck and only kids with rich parents get the chance to have a decent education? Why does Switzerland have a murder/homicide rate of 47 people per 100,000 and Denmark has a rate of 49 people per 100,000 but the United States has a rate of almost 15,000 per 100,000? How come there are hardly any teenager pregnancies in Switzerland, the Netherlands or Scandinavia but there are tons of them in the US? Why do more than 50% of Americans have to work a second job if the system works so great? Why is the life expectancy lower than in Switzerland or Scandinavian countries?
    I could go on and on. All of these factors define how well a country is doing. Every year there is a research being conducted by the UN that determines which nation is the happiest in the world (it's calculated with factors such as these). Interestingly, the people from Denmark have beaten the rest of the world over and over again in the past few years, with Switzerland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland and Iceland all being in the top 10. America was somewhere down in the 30s or early 40s. How come?

I don't intend to bash America here. I love America. But I don't think you know what you're talking about. You've been indoctrinated with some stupid hate of socialism and now you spew as much socialism hatred as you can and even confuse it with communism.

It's also funny that you talk about capitalism and then tell us about your hard working parents. Because America is one of the least capitalist countries in the world. I know Americans love to believe they're living in this awesome, perfect capitalist system but what it really is it's a plutocracy. This whole sentimentality about capitalism is a myth from back in the 1950 (when it was actually true). Oh let's not forget

• You're wrong about the murder rate. That almost 15000 was total murders in a year. The murder rate of the U. S. is actually 4.7.

• @ Asker: I didn't get insulted and I didn't mean to insult you either. I just get bothered sometimes when Americans (and I don't necessarily mean you here) say things such as "Socialism simply doesn't work". Because it actually does and I don't see why these people think it doesn't. I'm sure you could name me socialist countries that don't function well but I could do the same with capitalist countries. Governance shouldn't always be equated with the economic system. However, I also get annoyed by this "socialism doesn't work" because it implies that capitalism does - but it doesn't. Capitalism might work very well for a tiny minority but for 95% of the people it doesn't. I mean, just look at it on a global scale. Every 3 seconds, a child somewhere on this planet starves to death. Yet, we have more food than we need. The UN has calculated that if we would share our ressources more or less fairly, every person on earth would have enough to eat. Instead, western supermarkets throw away

• thousands of tons of food (which is still good) every day. That's just one example. See, I'm not saying that a doctor should earn the same amount as somebody who cleans public toilets. Obviously, such a system will be extremely difficult to implement in a democracy. But I consider myself a socialist and my point is this: there's not just black and white. You can't have perfect justice but you can at least try to have some. @biracialQT put it really well. In north western Europe, we strongly believe in solidarity. Taking care of each other and trusting each other as a society. Every year when I have to pay my taxes, I get a letter from the Swiss version of the IRS saying "We know you don't like paying taxes. Nobody does. So we don't expect you to pay your taxes with joy. But we HOPE that you pay your taxes with conviction." And that is pretty much what I mean. Paying taxes isn't fun but at the same time, I like doing it because it's a way of doing my service for the society I live in.

What Girls Said 7

• Socialism doesn't mean that every job provides the same, i think you're thinking about communism.
    Socialism is more focussed about the fact that it's unfair how most of the recourses in the world are owned by only 1 or 2 percent of the inhabitants and the rest have very little to none, socialism is about putting the decisions over the aorld resources in the hands of EVERYONE instead of just that 1/2%.
    Socialism also makes room for a bigger government, that can provide the people with basic health care, nutrition and collective goods by setting up taxes.
    That way, going to the hospital is possible for everyone who needs care.
    I idealize the true idea of socialism as i live in a country with left overs from socialism (but also capitalism) and i love the idea that we all take care of each other through taxes.

• I don't think "every job must provide the same" is what socialism means. At least no socialist country has ever done it that way and it's not at all what Karl Marx wrote about. Personally, I'd much rather be a teacher at a fast food income, than a fast food worker at a teacher's salary. My work is too many hours of my life to not be doing something I love.

• Well socialism works out really well in countries who use it, so I think you should base it off of that, and not your understanding of it.

• There has never been a socialist country. Actually the idea of a nation is against socialism

• @kingme

There are socialist countries, but only if you use a broad definition. I agree that the idea of nations goes against the idea of socialism. A country like Sweden for example is very export oriented. They derive a large portion of their income from capitalist or semi-capitalist countries. Some Swedish corporations can be aggressively competitive on the international level. The claims of Swedish wealth and being socialistic are deceiving when they wouldn't have nearly as much wealth without exporting to capitalist countries. No country operates in a vacuum.

• I know, just look at Greece. On top of the world lol

• Capitalism because socialism makes no sense in America.

• I choose socialism even if it means I live in a shack cause it means other people will get to eat and not starve to death.

• Somewhere in between unhinged capitalism and full government moderation of action socialism. It's not just because socialism is "nice" but because society seems to operate better when there are some safety nets in place to prevent revolution, riot, anarchy, etc. We aren't all starting from zero - so people with have definite advantages simply by where they were born, what skills they have, how rich their parents were, etc. It's not all about hard work and persistence. Or, as I heard it explained well - the best mechanic in the world isn't going to make as much money as a surgeon or professional athlete. But we need people to be mechanics, laborers, cashiers, gas station attendants, cooks, CNAs, etc.

If you cut too many people out of making a productive living, unrest grows and eventually the masses overtake the small elite by force.

• I think you're confusing socialism with communism.

What Guys Said 15

• There are degrees of capitalism, socialism, whatever, so designating a country into an exact boundary does not really work. However...

Denmark is definitely more socialistic that the US. Taxes are very much higher. But there are a wide range of welfare benefits to its people providing them with basic needs. Also, Small businesses do much better there. Over 70 percent of the companies have less than 50 employees, helping to spread the wealth. In the US, Most successful companies are owned by the extremely wealthy and small companies are squeezed out or bought up.

Finland has one of the best education systems in the world. with a literacy rate of 100%. The US is nowhere near that. Yet in Finland tuition is free. The standard of living is one of the highest in the world.

Many people think our system of capitalism makes us the greatest country in the world. Some of the opinions given here suggest that modern conveniences like cell phones would not exist except with capitalism, especially here. Yet some of the countries with the best standards of living, thriving small businesses, medical security, etc. are mostly socialistic.

I think that this clip said it best about how "we" (with our systems) are the "best" country...
    https://youtu.be/Zabb3fxGTPk

• I was not aware that the playing of this clip off of YouTube was disabled. You can click on the link above to view it on YouTube.

• "Every job must provide the same."
    That is only a form of socialism.
    Socialism has so many different forms that you can't just generalize it with one sentence.
    Welfarism; progressivism, social democracy; communism, Marxism.
    An entire umbrella of political models encompasses the concept of "socialism".

Personally I think in the perfect world , socialism would be the perfect model.

Capitalism assumes that every man is selfish and collective selfishness will build towards the greater good through mutual hatred and self-interest.

That is a very darwinian world that builds the society towards a very hostile environment. I don't like that.

• I'm strongly capitalist. But I believe in real capitalism, not what some people pass off as capitalism. I'll be the first to admit that there is no fixed definition of capitalism and socialism. So I guess I'm referring to my own version of capitalism.

I think socialism is great on a small scale if everyone is voluntarily part of it. For example a commune. But I think it too easily breaks down at a larger scale.

I think capitalism breaks down at a large scale also, but at a much larger scale than socialism.

They all have problems. One big problem with any of them is the role of government. And governments are notoriously inept, especially at large scales.

Being American, I'm most familiar with our brand of capitalism. The problem is that we've strayed too far from capitalism over the last 20-25 years or so. Some of the core requirements of capitalism are becoming a thing of the past.

• Your opinion of what socialism is and what socialism actually is are not the same thing. You're thinking communism. Very few people argue for communism in this country.

Socialism still has certain people making much more than others. But there's a minimum benchmark instead of a darwinism attitude that the weak will simply die. Like mandatory hospital treatment in the ER, saving somebody instead of letting them die in the street... Socialism. It's a floor that nobody should be allowed to fall below. A doctor still makes much more than a fast food worker, but the fast food worker isn't going to die from a lack of basic health care, despite the low wages.

If you would trade a job making over 100k a year for a fast food job paying less than 30k that's fine, but thats a far cry from communism. I'm tired though so I'm not writing any more than that.

• Socialism is a great thing for starting up and having little to no money, allies, supplies, etc.

Capitalism, if controlled and maintained properly, can be a great thing. Otherwise it can be disastrous and you'll end up in a country where you an literally buy yourself out of murdering somebody (aka america)

• I feel like a lot of the people voting for Socialism probably don't really know much about it...
    It's popular to say it works in all of these other countries, but I'm not convinced they do. Even China is struggling, right now, believe it or not.

• I don't think you understand socialism. It's not 'everyone makes the same.' It's that no one will be left with insufficient means to provide for themselves, and no one will have enough monetary influence to hold total ownership of the means of production as well as influence political affairs.

• This question, especially your description of "socialism" is extremely biased and oversimplified. While, in America at least, I certainly believe more aspects of socialism can and should be implemented into our economic structure, utter socialism, like utter capitalism, can't stand. Also, this poll should have at least 5 options: Complete Capitalism, Influence of both, but more capitalism, Equal implementation, Influence of both, but more socialism, and Complete Socialism.

• CAPITALISM: Gods way of determining who is smart, and who is poor.

• They're both alluring in theory, but ideally it'd be a mix of both. We certainly don't have real capitalism in America, and we never will have real socialism, so it's not really much of a choice.

• I am a believer in capitalism

• Capitalism until something better comes around.
    Socialism just doesn't work.

• Whats up with the down votes without capitalism you wouldn't be having that 5 inch phone in your pocket or that computer your typing on write now. You actually think giving more power to the government is good for you?//

• Your analysis of socialism is poor

• You can't just offer people a choice of extremes. Capitalism has done plenty of damage and so has full blown Communism.

I think you will absolutely see doctors and scientists and teachers, it's called passion. If I could have my basic needs accounted for and not have to worry about them plus the means to pursue what I wanted then I'd absolutely be a scientist rather than do nothing. Money means shit all to me in and of itself, I'm only interested in more money insofar as it helps me pursue science or whatever else I'm passionate about.

A balance is the obvious choice. There a question of how to distribute basic resources if there isn't enough to go around and that complicates the issue, but politics can change based on scale of society and nature of it's problems. If there IS enough resources to feed, clothe and shelter everyone (including things like waste management and electricity) then I feel like we should be doing that. Then let those that was excess - be it rare expensive stuff or something like a career in science - to work for want they want but first give them what they need, then everyone has and equal platform from which to tackle their ambitions.

• Spare us the lesson in the virtues of capitalism over socialism ayn rand. This isn't the 50's.