What exactly does Chivalry mean to you?

It seems to be that Chivalry means indirectly putting women on pedestals along with being a socially mandatory for men to do it, in order to be "real men".

• Pampering women with special treatment because they have a vagina.
  • Common courtesy for not only women but for everyone.
  • Others

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it just means being nice to someone and being considerate of their happiness, safety, and/or comfort. I'm chivalrous to my boyfriend though I feel like the term only applies to men being courteous of women for some reason lol. Being nice to someone doesn't mean putting them on a pedestal, it just a way of showing that you care about them.

Most Helpful Guy

• Only one time in the entire code of Chivalry does it reference the respect of women: his own. Then all other ladies follow after in a state of respect. Chivalry today, by many, is viewed as an extra courtesy to women. In fact, Chilvalry is mostly based on how you treat everyone. But the aspects in which women are to be respected are based around the Virgin Mary, the mother of Jesus. This is where the origins of Chivalry came about in how Jesus treated his mother, even ensuring her care after his death. So when people talk about Chivalry, I like to think how I would treat my own mother: with the utmost respect. This is how we should be treating women in general considering how many guys out there so easily disrespect women. I find no shame in wanting to treat women with the respect they deserve. No, this does not mean putting them above others or glorifying (excusing) any of their wrong doings, which some people try to do. Respect for all people, with a high admiration to women, that they are our mothers, they are our sisters, they are our daughters. And we treat them with respect, as God treats us with respect.

What Girls Said 3

• Chivalry is such an outdated term, I don't think anyone uses it anymore except to mock someone. Being a gentleman is a better way of putting it, which will refer to not only how you treat women, but how you treat everybody.

• It's just the nice thing to do.

• Ugh, ment to choose B but my phone is small. :/
    C'mon everyone should have common courtesy.

What Guys Said 12

• Chivalry means treating a lady in the manner that you would like to be treated if you were a lady yourself. The knight in shining armour on a white horse is someone chivalrous. He protects the lady, not for any sexual reason, but because it's the right thing to do.

It does NOT mean putting them on a pedestal or putting them in a glass case. It's just old fashioned gentlemanly behaviour that is sadly almost non-existant now.

• Chivalry is a moral and social code for knights. It covered things like protecting the weak, don't accept bribes, to always speak the truth, to never give up a challenge until you see it through.

After a few centuries and looking at modern society, yeah, pretty sure the tenets of chivalry are dead.

• Yeah because the majority of people are either ungrateful or just expect things from other people and then take them for granted these days.

• A basic system of behaviour focusing heavily on your duty to your social superiors, your duty to be skillfull at arms with a little bit of side fluff about treating your social lessers and women with moderate respect.

• upload.wikimedia.org/.../...mantiques-p1020301.jpg

It means dressing up in armor and fighting with swords to defend the church, your country, and the weak and poor (in that order).

• Treating everyone kindly and not being a general dick.

I do give women special treatment though, I just do. It's how I am.

• Chivalry for me is about being the baddest motherfucker on the jousting yard.

• knights and swords and horses

• Must be something to do with the Chi.

• Extinct...//

• No need to be chivalric in this time lol They wanna be equal now

• Slavery, only spelled differently.