How fast do Tornados travel? Is it too dangerous to leave the house or what?

There is a tornado warning for Niagara Falls which is 1 hour by car from where I live. I was supposed to hang out with my cousin tonight at the park but I am thinking of cancelling. Do you think I should cancel? Is it dangerous to be 1 hour away from a potential Tornado?

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh yeah, have you seen images from Tornado Alley? When you get inside or near a Tornado, injuries are 90% certain :o
    So yes, better to sit it out inside and have a safe place to seek shelter if it gets very bad (the basement or a public shelter).
    Well, you'll have it behind you when you read this... so hope you made it safely through it?

What Guys Said 2

• Tornadoes generally travel from the southwest and at an average speed of 30 miles per hour. However, some tornadoes have very erratic paths, with speeds approaching 70 mph.

• Tornadoes can last from several seconds to more than an hour. The longest-lived tornado in history is really unknown, because so many of the long-lived tornadoes reported from the early-mid 1900s and before are believed to be tornado series instead. Most tornadoes last less than 10 minutes.

• Just got a Warning

• I get one sometimes twice in one week this year. Never happened in previous years. Maybe the weather is changing where I live?

• 35 mhp Averahe speed

What Girls Said 2

• Honestly, there are so many tornado warnings for toronto that I don't even pay attention anymore. don't worry about it, your 99.99% safe :P

• Is there a tornado watch for your area? If not, have a great evening. But if the storm system extends to where you live, you'd be wise to hang indoors.