Who's the last relative you lost? How did you handle it?

My dad passed away Friday night.

Most Helpful Girl

• I lost my grandma when I was age 9.

She lost the battle to breast cancer.

I was a young kid and didn't know how to deal with my emotions.
    I didn't cry while she was fighting her battle.
    My mother did every day.
    My brother cried also.

My Mom didn't understand me.
    I guess I needed to really process the information because I never had a lost before and didn't really know the extent of the devastating news until I saw that she passed.
    It was on her funeral day that I burst out into tears and cried.
    Seeing her in her casket (not looking anything like herself) broke my heart.

I wasn't allowed to see her while she was in the hospital fighting for her life.
    The last time I saw her was when I was age 6 (only having vague memories of her before hand).

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm sorry for your loss.
    The last relative I lost was my uncle. He died 2,5 years ago. But honestly, I wasn't too sad. Of course I was a bit shocked about his death but he had been a heavy alcoholic for his whole life, so it was not a big surprise that he ended up dying quite young. He died of a liver failure, which is a very typical cause of death for alcoholics (ironically, he died while on vacation and it was the first vacation he had taken in over 25 years). He was a nice person in general and he had always been kind to me and my siblings but he was super, super religious and he also had some quite severe mental issues (caused from his lifelong alcohol abuse), so nobody of our family was very close to him.

What Girls Said 8

• I haven't lost any close relatives yet.
    A distant relative that died most recently was my grandma's brother's wife, but that was quite a few years ago.

I'm sorry for your loss!

• My horse died a month ago if that counts. Other than that, my grandfather died when I was 10 and my current grandfather is starving right now. He has cancer, broke his leg and can't get out of bed anymore. I'm going to visit him this Tuesday maybe for the last time.

• Condolences for your loss.

My grandpa passed away three years ago. I cried on the day he died, and on the day he was cremated. These two days were the only days where my tears were falling uncontrollably.

• Sorry for your loss :(
    I lost my uncle in a car accident. He was very close to me. He was almost my half dad.
    It hurts a lot at the begining. But by time you just get used to.
    I did not do anything special. Very cliche but time helps a lot.

• I'm really sorry for your loss... I lost my uncle few years ago. I still miss him a lot, I wish I could back in the time cause I want to apologise.

My uncle's death came as a shock to me. I first didn't believe it.. After a day, I cried aloyt

• My grandma (dad's mom). It has been years since then.

My eyes got moist when I first heard it. I keep seeing her in my dreams and I missed her.

May your dad rest in peace. :(

• My cousin died in a car accident when I was in high school. Condolences for your loss

• I lost my great grandma when I was a baby. I giggled and ran during the funeral. I think she's sweet and a nice great grandma.

What Guys Said 4

• My uncle died from cancer
    a little while ago.

Sorry to hear about your loss
    hope you're still healthy and happy
    in spite of the events! ^.^

• My Father last year.
    Hit me very hard, still have my moments now

• That's hard. My folks are getting older and losing friends left and right. Most of my uncles and aunts have passed in the last 7 years. I dread the day I have to deal with that.

• I lost a cousin to cancer. It was tough, but
    I just kept busy, talk to friends and time took care of it.