Why is it that people tell me that Islam has nothing to do with honor killings, but only Islamic countries have "honor killings" in the first place?

http://howthis.work/prison-for-afghan-mullah-who-raped-a-10-year-old-girl-inside-his-mosque/

I see these kinds of stuff and people tell me that this has nothing to do with Islam, nor Islamic culture - and yet I've heard of only Islamic places where they literally think about stoning their daughter to death for having been raped by someone against their will at the age of 10.

Does anyone know why if only Islamic countries have such a thing called "honor killings", then we shouldn't think that Islam is responsible for it? Should we see it as just "part of their culture", even though they murder their own children in cold blood in the name of their faith?

Most Helpful Girl

• ''Honour Killing'' is absolutely Islamic. Honour killing is a manifestation of global phenomenon in general and Muslim nations in particular. Since this terrible inhumane practice does exists only among the Muslims of the world very often civilized people do blame Islam as the precursor of this dreadful act.

Most others do not agree with this notion at all; and they try to put the blame on the tribal/cultural practice, and do not consider Islam is anyway responsible for it.

These barbaric killings occur only to save the honour of the family, and not for any animosity or for wealth or gold. In 100% of cases the killers have no animosity, rather they love the girl as their own daughter or sister, but they kill the girl anyway upon their ethical compulsion to save their family honour, or to erase family stigmas.

The victims cry, beg for their life but the family members become merciless (out of their ethical prejudices and also religious burden of fear) and kill the victim. After killing family members usually mourn and cry for the victim (usually loving daughter or sister) but feel solace that they have done the right thing to save their family honour.

And this kind of cruel killings to save family honour had happened, still happening, and will remain to happen only to a Muslim family.

Most Helpful Guy

• Honor killings exist in many societies. They don't always use the word honor but the idea is the same.
    During the fifties (and before) in France a guy who caught his wife with a lover and killed them would usually be acquitted. I'm not certain how a court would judge in Latin America, in Greece or in Spain.

• That is a bit different from being raped against your will as an underage person, though.

• One more in the Bible: (Deuteronomy 22:23-24
      If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife.

• Zechariah 14:1-2 ESV:
      Behold, a day is coming for the Lord, when the spoil taken from you will be divided in your midst. For I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem to battle, and the city shall be taken and the houses plundered and the women raped.

What Girls Said 2

• Me as a Muslim in Muslim country I will tell you this: they always make us learn that "Islam and Muslims are not totally the same"
    I will explain:
    Islam as any other religion got rules and people that worship it so from where what I said can make sense? It is the way that people known as Muslims apply it, people tend to judge the religion by judging the one worshipping it which I consider wrong, Muslims are human too and make mistakes while applying Islam rules. And also know that it is true that in Islam there are some killing rules (even if with my mere knowledge for the case of rape the man MUST marry the girl he raped to preserve her honor I didn't know about the killing). Killing a murder is allowed to purify him if the victim's family doesn't accept a certain amount of euu let's say "payment" or if they don't forgive him, what I am trying to say is that killing in Islam is the last step of judgment and his goal is to purify the sinner (of course there a just few cases that have killing in it) but nowadays they are not applicable, the majority -if not the totality- of Muslims use the law to get their rights back not because they don't follow Islamic rules but because in ruling there are different stages and to be short Law is one of them. And the people still applying it are what we call the euu let's saythey are SStubborn in Islam like DO THIS Not THAT like they don't give you a third choice and they are the one ruining the Islamic image which is easiness :)
    Anyway I got out of your Question point I apology and I hope that I clarified the killing matter with my mere knowledge and that this doesn't turn out to a huge debate on who is wrong and right like it happened somewhere else :) thanks for taking the time to read this and respecting how it is ^_^

• And I just read the article you shared, it says: "it is common in Afghanistan" so this is not related to islam but to their culture :)

• Leviticus20:10 “If a man commits adultery with the wife of[a] his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

• Isn't that honor killing?

• Murdering is one of the top major sins in Islam.

I don't know where they came up with honor killings.

• What do they mean by murder though? Any killing or just a killing that Allah doesn't approve of?

• We have been told to not kill anyone.

• I suppose it existed before Muhammad.

What Guys Said 2

• This happens all of the time - somebody points out that many crimes and terrorists predominantly originate from Islamic areas BUT real muslims don't do that. You will never get them to admit to anything.

• White collar criminality predominantly originates from Christian areas BUT real Christians don't do that.
      Bombing with drones, fragmentation bombs, depleted uranium and white phosphorus predominantly originates from Christian areas BUT real Christians don't do that, of course. You will never get them to admit to anything.

• Religious people seem to like analogies, so here's one of mine...

Not all genital herpes infections lead to herpetic genital lesions, but when they are present it is genital herpes that is responsible.

Some people may be exposed and infected by Islam and yet avoid doing anything too perverse, but when people make an honour killing so that Allah isn't offended by someone's raped daughter then obviously Islam is the cause.

We can even extend the analogy to christianity... it's related but generally less problematic, so it could be oral herpes...