Feminist, Egalitarian, MRA or Sexist tool: which word do you identify with most and why?

Given that people can't even agree what these words mean, I was curious which word people feel describes them best.

If you don't think any of the words suit you, choose which one you indentify with most.
If you just don't care, choose E.

• I'm a Feminist.
  • I'm an Egalitarian.
  • I'm a Mens RIghts Activist.
  • I'm a Sexist Tool.
  • None of the above.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't associate myself with any movements, because all of them consist of whiny turds with a chip on their shoulder.

Feminists endlessly cry about bring misunderstood in regards to the definition of feminism.

Egalitarians have a preachy holier than thou attitude that try to "educate" everyone about how their ideology is the most equal.

MRA claim they're fighting for men's issues, yet checking any MRA forum you will find that comments under every topic and/or article all they're talking about is how great life was when women had no rights.

Sexist tool - please see previous description. Add whiny female that claims there are "no good men left".

Most Helpful Guy

• A feminist is someone who believes that men collectively oppress women. One theoretically could believe that while supporting sexual equality (though almost all feminists actually do not), but it is not a part of the definition. To claim that it is would be to side with Tumblr nobodies against many of the important feminist thinkers who actually built the movement. I am not a feminist. For the reasons, read Peter Schwartz's essay 'Gender Tribalism' ( www.google.co.uk/url ) and Ayn Rand's essay 'The Age of Envy' in the collection 'Return of the Primitive: The Anti-Industrial Revolution'.

The term 'egalitarian' already has a prior definition. An egalitarian is someone who wants to bring everyone down to the same material level. The term has been stolen by people who want a term to denote some kind of vague support for sexual equality that somehow isn't feminism.

Men's rights activism is a diverse set of anti-feminist responses to feminism. But, that is precisely the problem, vagueness. Hardly anyone has any idea what men's rights are or indeed what any individual's rights are. There is no point in being an activist for something that one doesn't understand. Feminism is a huge problem, but it is not a primary. Underlying feminism is altruism, and underlying that is the rejection of reality.

So, if I had to define myself in relation to these movements, I would describe myself simply as an 'anti-feminist'.

• Oh, and a sexist is someone who practises irrational sexual discrimination. Note the importance of 'irrational'. For example, being heterosexual or indeed homosexual, or indeed anything other than 50/50 bisexual or asexual, would be sexual discrimination, but it wouldn't be irrational sexual discrimination.

• "To claim that it is would be to side with Tumber nobodies against many of the important feminist thinkers who actually built the movement." - Good point. Modern feminism tries to present itself as a moderate movement when it rarely seems to be that in practice.

I find it annoying when celebrities get praised just for accepting the feminist tag.

What Girls Said 2

• If everyone is working toward the same goal, you can call it whatever the hell you want. If what you're really working towards is some awful power structure that is the opposite of what equality really is, then you and I will have an ideological problem.

• I'd agree but that wasn't really the question. I'm curious about how people define the different words and which one people prefer.

• Do you care that many people seem uncomfortable with the feminist tag?

• It's not their place to choose how I identify.

• whats egalitarian?

What Guys Said 13

• It's hard to say. I hate modern feminism because it's controlled by radicals trying to make women dominant over men. I hate MRA's for their radicals that want to make an actual patriarchy. I would like egalitarianism, but, to be honest, we aren't "equal".
    Here are my thoughts, coming from theistic education. God created men and women to be partners; not precisely equal, but not dominant over each other. Man was to watch over women, protect them, and support them. Just as men, women were created to support man, help him, and watch over him as guidance. They were created as partners, not slave and master, but a dynamic duo.
    If you don't believe in God, think of it this way: humanity couldn't have evolved or survived this long if we just hated each other, right?

• None of the above
    Men should be respected
    women should be respected, but i understand they are different and not equal, and shouldn't be treated the same way

i hate labels
    anyone who identifies with any of these, can't come up with their own ideas and conclusions

• Agreed. I used to identify as feminist but now if asked, I'd probably just say None of the Above too.

• yeah identifying yourself as something limits you from coming to your own conclusions
      Saying you are one of these things might sound nice, but really, most of these ideologies are flawed, because they are extreme, you would have to be crazy to completely agree with these groups

• If my interpretation is correct I am egalitarian.

• I voted egalitarian

who's the 1 girl who voted MRA 😱

• That'd be me. And I'm one of two. :)

• I'm sorry, I didn't really answer your question directly. I'd have to fully gather my thoughts in order to give you the issues I feel are most important/detrimental for men. I'm not sure If you're interested in more of my ramblings, so feel free to message me If you're game ;)

• @bandit74 that article was very astute of you; thanks for sharing it. I will definitely read it tomorrow since I've stayed up too late as it is. :D

• 0|1
  • I just go with truth seeker. If someone is wrong, or an ideaology is wrong then I will fight against it regardless of the label. Truth above all else.

• Titles are stupid. They're just blankets people hide behind so they aren't judged for who they specifically are as a human being. I stand by the philosophy that a person is defined solely by their actions and nothing else; most certainly not by a self-imposed title. Call yourself whatever you'd like, it won't make me not judge you for what actual impact you make on the world.

• Egalitarian. Anyone who classifies me as a Feminist is a bigot.

• I believe everyone should be equally burned in a pit of fire. Does that count for something?

• I support equal rights for all

• Technically you should be able to be involved in Men's right activism while also being feminist and egalitarian. But I would say I'm an Egalitarian and interested in men's rights activism even though I would also pay attention to women's issues. I just don't want to be associated with feminism, everything else seems to get along just fine: Most men's rights activists are quite Egalitarian.

The difference between feminism and the others isn't just the extremists, it's the kind of equality they want.

• I voted B, A would be my second choice, but B applies more universally. (Not just to sex related issues.)

• None of the above.

I think most "gender issues" are simply people bitching about their problems which frankly are largely under their own control. If they spent more time solving them rather than bitching, they wouldn't have those problems.

I also think that bitching largely has to do with their failures in securing a mate. So it's ultimately a twisted form of mate-seeking--eg, if you are personally dysfunctional and unattractive, cause problems for everyone else to level the playing field.