Can you smell it when a girl is on her period?

If this question grosses you out, feel free to skip it.

Obviously when a girl is on her period, she may have metalic smell about her. But I'm wondering, can other people smell it too, or is it just noticeable to the girl who is on her period? I've never noticed it on other women, have you?

Most Helpful Guy

• Can't speak for other guys, only myself.

Its not something I consciously smell, but subconsciously I always know when its happening, at least with certain women. This probably sounds a little creepy, but there are certain women where when they're on their period, I just can't ignore them, like there is some inperceivable signal calling my attention to them and stirring up my emotions

It happens the same time every month with certain co-workers, and I couldn't figure out why I kept feeling that way until after a few months of these events, I noticed they were making frequent trips to the restroom with their little sanitary bags (I never had any sisters, so was pretty dense to this kind of stuff.)

So, its not like a gross stinky thing that we perceive in my case, if thats what you're worried about. Its more just a blast of subconscious chemical signals that is only experienced from certain women and by certain men.

I actually mistook these feelings for crushes at first, until I realized they only lasted a few days at a time, the same time every month.

• this is so interesting !

have you actually looked it up or asked wround why you feel that way? is it a primitive reproduction thingie thing inside guys or what?

• Honestly, I really don't know. I imagine it's related to the bizzare sudo-science we call "chemistry between humans". When it comes to that sort of chemistry, it seems like scientists have a hard time being definitive about much of anything, other than knowing it exists and is hard to trace, sort of like how women who spend time together tend to have their periods in sync, or how animals know when a natural disaster is coming.

I am interested in seeing if other guys react the way I do. Its just such an awkward subject that there are few times a person can bring it up. Maybe I'll google it the next time I have 10 minutes.

Most Helpful Girl

• There's this one certain girl who I used to have to sit next to on the bus and I could smell it at times. But most other people I never could so I'm guessing if we're really close together and they haven't you know, changed in awhile possibly.

What Guys Said 8

• no, im not a bear :P

• I can smell it and it turns me on. Scented tampons smell great and a dead give away

• im so intrigued by this
      another guy also said it attracts him... i thought it was repulsive to guys lol

is it the smell of the tampon itself?

• Nice.
      lol

• Its both. I can smell period scent on a woman and I personally get turned on. If it is scenred tampons the smell is intoxicating

• Hahah how do those thought even cross your mind.. Ain't no shark, am I?

• I never did

• sometimes it smells like mint... lol me is to grosss hhahahaha

• Smells RUSTY! I have a very sensitive sense of smell and I can smell it.

• Ehh sometimes. Usually other indicators are easier to spot.

• Yes we can smell when you're in season well I seem to be able to know.

What Girls Said 7

• No, I've never noticed it while I'm with friends hanging out or at a coffee place or something. But if I go to a public bathroom I can smell it if the girl before me had her period. It is really disgusting... but no girl can do anything about it.

• I've only ever smelled another person's in a restroom. But other than that, nope. You shouldn't be able to.

• If she is showering, then no

• I don't think others could smell it unless you weren't showering daily.

• The smell is noticeable if she's not wearing a pad or tampon.

• My mother has but I have never.

• I dont directly smell it if the girl showers but i've been able to tell a girl was on her period because she had one of those super strong scented pads.