Are adolescents today more respectful of authority or less?

At first I thought adolescents today were more obedient, and eager to swallow any claims from authority, but then I think that might be the polyanna principle in effect, as I remember times when I was that age. I remember sitting in class and never doubting speeches from drug war agents that came to the school. I would have called anyone a druggie, if they questioned what the drug warriors were saying. In Texas, public schools are trying to white wash the history of slavery, so I wonder if the kids that get brainwashed with that disinformation are going to chant some mantras about "civil war was about states' rights", and similar things. I'm not in high school anymore, so I can't tell if adolescents today question more or do they simply take everything from authority at face value?

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on the area. But I feel like its less. Well in the US.

Most Helpful Guy

• Adolescents today are less respectful of authority, the best example to this starts are your home.
    Parents are authority figures themselves, and children have been more disrespectful of their parents as we move further ahead in generations.
    Although it has some upside, as you are learning to question authority because authority is never always right, and when they aren't you need someone to stand up and tell them.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 4

• It's not that adolescents have become more or less respectful towards authority. It's that authority figures have been doing more disrespectful things to society.

• No I don't respect authority and never have it's just a big joke to me actually. I just view them as some bullies wanting get their latest power high.

• I can't speak for all adolescents but I don't tend to trust authority.

• No. They are more aggressive, illogical, arrogant and misuse their rights