Anyone know how jury duty works?

i got my first letter to do jury duty and I've heard little about it but can someone tell me what you really do in there?

0|0
0|5

Most Helpful Guy

• Typically, you will be part of a group, consisting of royghly 30 people, that are considered potential jurors.

When you go into the court room, the judge, lawyers, and defendant will be there, and they will explain the nature of the case. Then, 12 people will be randomly called into the jury box, where the lawyers will explain what is expected of you during the trial.

Now, the lawyers want impartial juries, or more specifically, juries that won't be biased against them, so they will ask those 12, people a series of questions relevant to the case, in order to determine your personal slant on the issue. As an example, if they're defending someone that is charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, they don't want anyone who believes in strict gun control laws, so they'll ask if anyone is opposed to gun ownership.

If you feel that you have something relevant to offer, such as, "I strongly favor gun control," you can raise your hand, and let them know. Once they've gone through all their questions, those 12 people will be asked to step into another room while the lawyers decide whether to keep everyone, or let someone go, based on their responses.

Once they've decided, the 12 people will be brought back, at which point, the judge will dismiss anyone that the lawyers don't want to keep. At that point, sineone else from the pool (those remaining of the original 30) will be asked to take their place, and the lawyers will ask those new people the same (or similar) questions.

This will continue until a full jury has been selected, at which point, the judge will give them specific instructions, and send everyone else home.

I hope that helps.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• you sit around waiting for your name to be called, if it hasn't for the rest of the day, you're free to go... take a phone charger with you. or a book

if you're chose you go into a courtroom.. then you will be either chosen to serve on the jury of 12 or you will be excused... if you want to be excused just fidget with your fingers and look up in the air a lot or zone out. most likely you won't be chosen

0|0
    0|0
  • You have to decide if the criminal is guilty or not based on the evidence you get presented...

0|0
    0|0
  • You are called as part of the jury pool and examined to see if you will be selected as part of a jury. The lawyers will address questions to your group and then select the 12 jurors plus alternates who will sit for the trial. If you are not selected you may be called again for another examination up to the end of your term or until you are selected.

If you are selected you will have to attend for the length of the trial. Do you need to know how the trial part goes?

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes can you please explain

• You have to sit in court with the other jurors and listen to evidence then decide the guilt or innocence of the accused. Depending on what sort of trial and what sort of court you may be asked to decide other things like payments to be made. The judge will instruct you but something you should know which neither the judge nor the lawyers will tell you is you do not have to follow the instructions and can determine innocence as you see fit without respect to established law if you feel the law is unfair.
      If you are chosen to be part of a grand jury it is different. Instead of trying a case you will be asked to decide the merit of indictments (orders to bring someone up on trial) or investigations. The prosecutor will present you with whatever evidence he sees fit (there is no one arguing against him) and you either agree to indict or not. As you can imagine the grand jury almost always indicts. Indeed it's a saying among lawyers that a competent prosecutor can get a grand jury...

• ... to indict a ham sandwich.

Another interesting thing few people know and the judge and prosecutor won't tell you is a grand jury can hand down indictments on it's own, without instruction. This is called by prosecutors a 'runaway' grand jury. It happens from time to time. If you want to be dismissed from service just raise your hand and ask about it.

• Witch country

0|0
    0|0
    • United States

• Sorry can't help 8m Canadain sorry

What Girls Said 0

No girls shared opinions.