Do you think the act of committing suicide to be selfish?

Sure they end their suffering and can rest in peace from everday life. Still that's kind of selfish in away since your leaving so many people who actually cared about them to suffer. Hurting from the loss and wishing they could have done something to prevent it.

• Yes, how could they do that to their loved ones!
  • in different
  • no.

Most Helpful Guy

• I vote no. I kind of have an issue with people who think suicide is the easy way out or selfish. The desire to self terminate goes against EVERY biological drive of survival. It is NOT an easy thing to do. I'm not glorifying suicide but it takes a certain type of mindset to override all these base instincts and clock out. I think in a sense these people's misery is so deep that they only focus on the pain they're in and not on the potential pain around them but for people struggling with mental illness or an incredibly shitty life can you really blame them? Some of these people may not have the luxury of any family or loved ones. We don't know their situations and I think it would be insensitive of us to pretend that we do.

This is just my personal opinion and I'm not bashing anyone who thinks differently.

• To all the down voters: I'm not advocating suicide in any way. I just think it isn't as black and white as people like to believe.

• Thanks for MH.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. I think it's selfish to make someone else's suffering about you. If you're a friend or family member of someone who committed suicide, guess what? It's not about you. Their life was not about you either. It was something they saw as their only way out. Such a decision is not made on a whim. Their life is their own, so suicide is a valid decision.

What Guys Said 13

• I voted no for a reason. But technically suicide IS selfish. But I think the reasons for people saying it’s selfish are even more selfish.

People who have not been there cannot truly understand what suicidal people are going through. They try to relate to their own life and their own problems. Most people have no concept whatsoever of the kind of pain a person can endure. They say it's hurting the family members and friends, and therefore it's selfish.

Of course it hurts family members. It hurts them a lot. But here's the thing. The pain of the family members does not even compare to the pain of the person committing suicide. I don't want to call the pain of survivors trivial, but in comparison it really is trivial. The survivors think their trivial pain is more important than pain that's 1000 times worse. So who is really being selfish here?

Seriously, there is no comparison. The pain of the survivors is NOTHING in comparison. I've been on both sides of this. There is no comparison, not even close.

You often hear stories of prisoners being tortured. You hear about them being in such extreme agony that they literally beg to die. You hear similar things about some terminally ill patients. It's not that they WANT to die. They want to live. But they just want relief. They just want it to stop, even if that means death. If you've never been in that kind of screaming agony, you will never understand. Relief from the pain, that's the only thing that matters, no matter what the cost.

You always hear things like "they are screaming for help" or "they are trying to get attention" or "they aren't serious". Bullshit! They just want out.

"Yes, how could they do that to their loved ones! "
    THIS is selfish. Far more selfish than the person committing suicide.

• If someone is in so much pain that their only solution is death, then I think it is selfish for everyone else to get mad at them for being suicidal.

• It is only in the case where someone is lucid and mental illness free. Unfortunately, this is usually not the case. It is most often the result of untreated mental illness, severe depression, anxiety, or bipolar. In that case it is the selfish failure of scociety to allow such illnesses to go untreated for so long. I have never been suicidal, but I do know what its like to struggle with mental illness.

• the only thought I have of suicide is it is the definition of 'a tragedy' in so many ways

• They're not selfish. Most people commit suicide because they don't feel loved by anyone, so the "loved ones" argument doesn't make much sense in many cases. It's my life, only I have the right to decide when it ends.

• YES of Course, My girlfriend Committed Suicide, Devastated the Whole Family, Me, Her Daughters, her Grand Daughters, even her Ex Husband, and all her Friends, its the Cowards way out!!!

• No it is not. It is a weak argument to say it is.

• on top of selfish its the cowards way out man up and face your problems only through adversity can you become truly strong

• You can only say THAT when you haven't experienced the mindset of someone who is thinking about committing suicide.

And if you even dare to think i haven't been through that, search for my other comment on this topic. END

• so you think its hard to quit to give up you thinks its harder to commit suicide than to deal with your problems head on. most people who have trouble with suicide are never mentally strong they are usually weak willed and easily manipulated or broken. people who are stead fast in their believes and have a clear sense of self almost never commit suicide. I've never had that thought but I've faced many life threatening situation. i faced multiple hardships and never did i say i quit it over this is to much id rather fail or die trying than give up

• It's selfish when your young and productive, selfless when you're old and useless.

• It's not selfish it's just cowardly thing to do...

• No it's not. You're basically telling someone who's already depressed that your happiness comes above theirs so they can't leave. Ik ik it sounds twisted

• Yes they are selfish because they put the family in dept and ruin their lives for it the least they should do is save up enough money for the funeral

• No, people who say that are fucking stupid.

What Girls Said 9

• The thing is people who even try attempt that are in a place where they trully believe no one cares. It's easy for people to put blame on people like them when you're life doesn't feel half as dull as theirs does. It isn't selfish, it's just them not having enough fight in them to go through every minute of every day feeling terrible for whatever reason drove you there or feeling like there isn't any point like "why should I live the rest of my life feeling this way when I will eventually die anyway and when I can just cut out all that time wasting everyones time".

• I don't think so. I believe that it takes a lot of courage to commit suicide. By this I'm NOT saying that is something good and that everybody should do it. What I mean is that death is something scary for a lot of people, and the ones who commit suicide, do face death in a way that others don't.
    A person who takes their own life, is someone whose suffering is inexplicable. So, we don't have the right to judge them.
    So, saying that they're selfish, doesn't seem fair to me.

• Sometimes they just really see no other way out. They already know that it's selfish, but for them the cons of life outweigh the pros. They probably also truly believe no one would care. Depression is a nasty illness that doesn't let people think rationally.

• It can be selfish if they died for the wrong reasons. Say for example, a couple is trapped in Tsunami flood and both knows one has to die to save the other... so a conscious choice is made... would you say that is suicide too

• No, I think it's weak. But life is not for the weak so...

• No, I don't know the reasons so I don't judge.

• The number one thing in your life (without kids), should be your happiness. If you can't bear to keep livin then don't. How others take it isn't your fault.

• No. I don't like people who act like they should save everyone if their will is to terminate their lives.

• It's selfish of others to think others should live for them no matter what.