Why do people drink alcohol?

I think it tastes disgusting, it burns like hell and it's really unhealthy.
Why do people enjoy it so much? I just can't wrap my head around it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't personally like the taste and i despise how much of a common social norm it's become but i think some people do genuinely enjoy the taste.

I read that liking the taste is related to taste bud density. The higher the density the less likely you are to like alcohol. I suppose i have a really high density so i can't enjoy it.

I noticed people whom drink alcohol also tend to try to get more philosophical in conversation which interestingly they would never bother with when sober

Most Helpful Girl

• There's a lot of alcohol I don't enjoy the taste of -- dark beers/wines, pretty much all vodkas, and tequila -- but there's others that I like. I like pink/white wine, light beers, and most iced teas/lemonades if they don't taste too strong. I think it's all about finding out which tastes you like, because that's important lol. I never drank until the week of my 18th birthday, whereas all my friends started drinking at 14/15. I don't drink a lot, but if I'm at a party with my friends its nice because I feel really giggly. I don't like being very drunk because I get sick easily and that's just never a fun time. So yeah, I drink with friends but only to get a little drunk, not sloppy and messy drunk.

• It's not really the taste that's the big issue. It's the feeling.

• Yeah I know what you mean. There's been times when I drank that I just wanted to be sober again, but it all really depends on who you're with/what you're doing. If I'm coming home after a party, I want nothing more than to go to bed sober because I hate the feeling of sleeping buzzed since it feels like the room is spinning, which sometimes makes me feel like ick.

What Guys Said 21

• You're under 18, and its great that you dont have an affinity for alcohol.

But you get older, you get out of school, and everyday life is super stressful.

On top of that, you're single right? And you're kinda introverted. So when you go on dates or to places where you might want to find a partner in life you have to be drinking to bring out your extroverted side.
    Then some days you get home from work late and you can't sleep because your brain is wired from work, so you drink to slow your mind so you can sleep.

Then you end up drinking every day because its become part of the way you cope with being a cog in the wheel of society, slowly grinding down until you're replaced.

• 1 - It's not unhealthy, binge drinking is. When you have too much alcohol at one time
    2- I enjoy the taste of a drink. Not every drink, but something like a jack and coke, I legit enjoy the taste of it.
    3 - It relaxes you. I can really like that.

• I am usually a beer guy, I dont like wine, not really into liquer or doing shots. But then again I never had that kind of crowd around me, I was a loner and or had shitty friends that made it seem like i was alone, during what should have been the best parts of my life. So I never really got into drinking anything other than beer.

I do not drink it much outside of bars, but its OK to have sometimes. It was fun before when getting drunk was an option, but only once a week or less.

I do not like all types of beer because most taste different. And most if the biggest brands you see around make crappy beer.

But every once in a while it is good.

You kind of have to try a bunch of them, and see if you any, and make sure they are cold or else hey usually taste like crap.

• At the risk of sounding old...

... I thought exactly the same thing until I was 20.

Then I sucked it up and tried drinking 'properly'. I suddenly realised what all the fuss was about.

It really is something you have to discover yourself, though I do appreciate the frustration and stupid comments you get from people when they discover you don't drink - I have a friend at work who both doesn't drink and is a vegetarian, and she endures constant stupid remarks and questions from people.

• so you got wasted the first time? I don't get why people just don't sip.

• @VampireEmpress on the contrary, you can make great tasting cocktails very very cheaply. All you need is some soft drinks and fruit juices and you won't taste the liquor.

• thanks for the tip! I didn't know it could be that easy to make.

• I only drink for the flavor, I love it. I don't drink to get drunk though... in fact I think if it was not so prevalent in society, I would not get drunk at all...

• Not really. Stress is a real killer, and alcohol can relieve stress, so it is healthy in a way. Abuse does a lot of damage, yes.

I've never liked the taste of beer. A glass of red wine after a meal is nice. A bottle of vodka can be good if it's chilled. It can be almost tasteless if you hold your nose, as odd as it looks though. Opens your arteries, increases blood flow to the extremities.

It can be really helpful in moderation.

• Because I like it, same reason I like smoking pipe/pipe tobacco and bodybuilding all 3 of which burn at one time or another.

• It tastes good, it feels good, it's relaxing, and in moderation is good for your long term mental and physical health.

• I do it because I am an alcoholic. Back during medieval times it is all people drank so now a lot of us have a genetic predisposition to drinking alcohol. I do it in moderation though, usually just 3 or 4 beers a day, and I drink lots of water too..

• It's not that unhealthy lol

In moderation it's not bad for you

We drink it to get our minds off things, it simply alters your perception which in turn helps you escape if you need to

• I am with you. I don't get why people like it either.

• It's just as unhealthy as my GaG addiction.

• "it burns like hell"
    you're not supposed to drink pure alcohol haha

it goes into drinks, and usually only a small percentage of that drink will be alcohol (2 to 5 percent for most beers, for example)

• Because weed isn't legal yet...

• they drink because they think it helps with their problems instead of adding to them

• What the hell have you been drinking?

• it tastes nice. get with reality, dope.

• yea it kinda sucks haha

• Because they wanna get drunk. Alcohol makes us drunk and being drunk feels good.

• I don't think anyone drinks it for the taste since it tastes like shit. They drink to get a buzz or drunk.

It's only unhealthy in excess. Wine, in moderation, is actually good for your heart or blood pressure or something. i forget which.

• Best advice I was ever given (sadly... cough): don't buy cheap booze.

If you have good stuff in small amounts on rare occasion, it's enjoyable.

What Girls Said 12

• I don't get it either, I find it pretty disgusting too. I'd rather drink some yummy juice!

• You're underage so it is unhealthy for your young brain. I genuinely like the taste of white wine, because I have a sweet tooth. Sometimes on my worst days of actual hell I want to de-stress. Most of the population drink for the effect, others do it for social reasons and/or in moderation.

• maybe they like the taste.. like any other drink..

• some people drink because they like the taste
    some people drink because they want to get drunk

• People like alcohol because it can numb the pain, the warmth of it traveling down your chest is nice and you don't have to worry about anything.

• I don't understand why people get drunk off of it. I think it's ok to sip it, but you are right that it tastes nasty.

• no, I don't :)

• to get drunk and get wasted

• To get drunk

• For me, it was momentary escapism from my life

Ex alcoholic right here.

• Have you ever been drunk?

• Just buzzed and I hated it. I thought it would make me more social but I just felt sick.

• Well it's hard to understand then. I used to not be able to understand either but when you get stressed and everything sucks it's a nice escape. I haven't drank myself in nearly a year now though

• because it gets you messed up but some people like the taste and just drink for pleasure.