Why do Americans make fun of people who speaks two+ languages, but broken English or bad grammar in English/etc?

I don't know if this happens much in other countries, but it happens all the time here. Why? considering the people saying these things most likely can barely speak English themselves to begin with.

This is what comes to mind when I hear/see this. Why do Americans make fun of people who speaks two+ languages, but broken English or bad grammar in English/etc?

Most Helpful Girl

• I've wondered the same. Kids at my school make fun of substitutes for having a thick foreign accent, and they mock them and laugh. It's pretty disgusting. And it's funny because usually the people that make fun of their accents are the same people that can't speak another language besides English...

Most Helpful Guy

• I've never encountered that in America, actually it's the opposite, they feel intrigued about where I'm from and they find it awesome that I can speak two languages. Also girls love the accent. I'm told I have a thick accent, and I've never had any person laugh at me vause of that. Yes, they've laughed when I said a word wrong that sounded funny (like beach I used to pronounce it like bitch), but they neber shamed me for that, and to be honest, the accent and not perfect English has gotten me many girls xD
    So I don't know what part of the US you live in, but I've only gotten positive comments for that.

What Girls Said 1

• happens all the time in asia.
    eurasians like us are bullied a lot.
    until our time comes and we outshine all those nationalist idiots.

What Guys Said 4

• I don't think this is isolated to Americans.

Plus, online, you don't know whether the person has English as their second language or is a native English speaker who is just lazy/stupid/doesn't care about how badly they're coming across.

• Some people are assholes, Hey at least its not Brigitte bardot
    Fucking fascist

• People have a lack of understanding that English isn't easy for everyone

• Every culture I know of finds it funny when foreigners slaughter their language. It's not necessarily that they think the foreigners are stupid, it's just funny to hear the language mangled.

• Americans go as far as to insult the person and call them dumb. That's much more than just making fun of.