Which engineering job/degree doesn't require you to be good at Maths?

Maths really isn't my speciality but I've really been interested in engineering but I'm struggling to know which one doesn't require maths

Most Helpful Girl

• Pretty sure that's a requirement for all of them lol

Most Helpful Guy

• They all require math. The first 1.5 - 2 years of engineering degrees are pretty much the same for every discipline, and there is a lot of math.

In turn the math is a prerequisite for physics. Most colleges have a fair amount of calculus as a prerequisite to physics. But I know of one uni that has a non-calculus physics requirement which you take the first year concurrently with calculus.

Then the physics is a prerequisite for classes like Strength of Materials, Statics and Dynamic, Thermodynamics, etc. During this time you will still be taking more math concurrently. Your total math will probably be around 2.5 years starting with calculus.

Then you are ready to start some actual engineering courses. That's when you branch out into your chosen discipline. That will probably be in your third year, but maybe starting late second year at some schools.

I can't speak for ALL branches of engineering. But all the ones I know about and the universities I'm familiar with are all like that. That would include the three most common branches of Mechanical, Electronic and Civil. I'm pretty sure it also includes some hybrid branches like computer engineer which leans more toward the software side of things.

What you need to do is check your local colleges and look at their programs. Go to the engineering department and talk to somebody. That's by far the best way to find out for sure about every program they offer.

What Girls Said 7

• I can't think of any which don't require a lot of math skills. I'm studying Civil Engineering with a minor in Mechanical Engineering, both use tons of math, just finished Calc. Last semester and will be taking more applied math for the next two years. I'm interning with my state DOT, I use math every day.

My advice would be to get over your fear of all things math, get going and get a tutor if you need to. Sooner or later things will click for you and you'll be good with mathematics.

• They all do

• All of them require it
    But some require less than others like
    industrial engineering

• Engineering without math... I suppose that depends on whether you are interested in biochemistry or environmental sciences.

• Lol none of them

• they all require math

• Sanitation engineer

What Guys Said 12

• Sounds like you would be less interested in Engineering and more interested in Engineering Tech.

Engineering Tech generally only requires up to Trig. For this reason, it pays less, is less prestigious, and doesn't qualify you for most research. But it still pays well, and you do effectively a lot of the same stuff as engineers. But yes, without as much math.

There's also Industrial Supervision. But I don't know much about that.

But honestly, if you hate math that much, you should question your interest in the STEM fields.

• Petroleum Transfer Engineer, or Interior Ambiance Control Engineer, maybe.
    (Gas station attendant and Janitor)
    Engineering REQUIRES math!! Even 'approximation' math, statistics, and algebra, geometry, dynamics too!
    What about engineering excites you? Design, maybe? Try Architecture, maybe. Structure, design, without the math!! You pass that off to the Civil Engineers!!
    Or, just learn the math!! There are different ways of 'LEARNING' and Khan Academy, online, and Youtube have a lot of good videos to learn math on many levels!! Also, the Great Courses, have several series of video lectures making math seem easy!!

• All of them will require math. All of them will require a considerable amount of math. BUT, from my understanding, the one that will likely take the least math (LEAST math and not NO math) out of the engineering fields would probably be Software Engineering.
    Trying to get into engineering without being good at math is like someone trying to become a Doctor that can't stomach blood and guts. There's going to be maybe one or two areas where you would have to deal with it less than others, but you'll never get away from it completely. Environmental Engineering also requires a lot less math than many engineering fields. I'd say your best bet are study hard in math and try out Environmental or Software Engineering. Those are probably your two best options. You'll have to work really hard at math, though, in spite of it, so make sure you really put effort into it. Math isn't impossible; it just takes time to master just like a sport would. Practice makes perfect. You'll get the hang of it.

• Pretty sure they call the non math majors Psychologists...

• 0|1
  • You need math whenever you want to create an algorithm that's not terrible. Math is just rules and logical thinking though, so if you are bad at it, that might be on the teacher.

• All of them require you to be good in math. ..
    But the Architecture engineering is the lowest in using math.

• None of them. I'm an electronics engineer and use math almost all the time. All areas of engineering need maths to a greater or lesser degree so get those books out and get studying

• Go for civil. Its math crazy but i hear its the easyer of the engineering careers. Im going the the major.

• If you aren't good at math and want to do engineering, run. RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN

• Wait, why do you want to study engineering if you don't like math?

• That's impossible all require it, more oR less , architecture too