How can I disown my father?

I disown my father in my heart but I haven't done it in person yet. Should I do it in person when I move out? What should I do? Peace

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 2

• no. if you do anything, make it seem like you're the victim, so if the family talks no one will say anything bad about you. and you could just talk to him on the holidays. even if he doesn't love you, you should use him if he's convenient for seeing other family you do like.

• I don't understand why you need to formally and explicitly disown him. If you move out soon anyway, you just stop being in touch with him. Unless he's done something horrible to you and you want to get this off your chest by telling him, then I don't see why you even need to tell him that you want to disown him.

What Guys Said 3

• You don't "disown" your father. If you were under the age of 18, you could ask a court to "emancipate" you (meaning, your parent would no longer have any "parental rights" over you; e. g., the right to direct your medical care, the right to obtain certain information from your school, etc.). The corollary to that is that you would also lose the benefits of your parent's "obligation" towards you as a child. In other words, your parent would no longer have the duty to support you, pay for your shelter, clothes, food, education, health care, etc.

Otherwise, there is no such thing as "disowning" someone under the law, the Thirteenth Amendment made that pretty clear. People are not "owned." So, they cannot be "disowned."

If you would like to simply stop "associating" with your father, you are more than free to do so. There is no law that "obligates" you to associate with your parents once you're 25-29.

• You can but don't expect your inheritance then.

• Why? I mean, obviously you hate him, so why give him any interaction at all? Just move out and ignore him.