Can people who speak broken English fully understand when they talk with a person who fluently speaks English?

Most Helpful Guy

• I speak VERY broken Spanish. When a Spaniard speaks correct Castillan I understand him nearly fully. When he speaks a dialect (even Madrilene) I have BIG troubles.
    My English is fluent but I don't understand all dialects. Some talkhosts or newsreaders can get me angry.

Even in my own native Dutch, I cannot say I understand every dialect.
    In Italian I'll have some problems with Sards.
    In German with people talking Schwitzerdutz or Austrian. I have to ask for Hochdeutsch, bitte
    The French use a more standardized language.

What Guys Said 10

• Yeah, i love accents i can lay all night and hear a girl with accent talk to me as
    i drift off to sleep . I have no problem hearing a them speak <3 :p ;p <3

• No. I think not.

• yes but try to avoid using any slang

• It simply depends on how good their English is.

• It's all to do with intonation you used to

• Indeed, intonation, speaking slower and using simple common language: during the sixties I listened a number of times to retransmissions of Fidel Castro speeches (in Spanish) by Radio Praha. I'd understand him easily.

• @jacquesvol voice teachings lessons for English tend to use a slower speech

• I guess it depends how fast fluent English speakers speak to them

• Nope. I think.

• not necessarily but generally they can if you use simple and easily comprehensible words

• sure , its not that hard

• I think they can get lost that's why I simplify it when I'm talking to a non native speaker.

What Girls Said 8

• It really depends. But keep in mind that first, they will learn to UNDERSTAND the language and only then try to USE it. So, if they can speak any English at all, chances are their understanding of it is much higher than you'd expect.

Sincerely,
    A person who only knew the words 'yes', 'no', 'thank you' and 'toilet' 6 years ago. *bows*

• Good question! I'd guess probably not. Especially if they have just started learning the language, they won't understand the idioms that fluent and native speakers use.

• Based on my own experience and interactions with my husband, it's much easier to understand a person speaking than to reply in a second language. I understand a lot of korean but I can't speak it.

• Yes. I understand English fully, but I have trouble with pronunciation and verbally putting sentences together. I can understand other people with broken English too. When I was learning English I had noone to talk to so that's basically the reason. Now that I am forced to use English everyday and I hope to improve my skills.

• Yes.. of course

• Jamaicans sure can...

• Are you Jamaican? Lol

• a lot of jamaicans speak broken English and understand English. Hahah their broken English is like slangs tho

I can't always understand it though and anyone whos not use to hearing them speak is pretty screwed 😆

• Yes, they can. My mom and dad speak broken English sometimes and they can fully understand me and vice versa.

• Yes. Sometimes you understand but struggle when trying to reply