If the World was fair and just, would the people who ordered the Atomic Bomb to be dropped on Hiroshima be charged with 'Crimes against Humanity'?

I ask this for most of the estimated 180000 victims were civilians

0|0
5|13

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 4

• As bad as the bomb was, our experiences in Okinawa showed us that taking the mainland would be costly for use AND the Japanese. Many many more people would have died if the bomb had been used. It's horrible and awful and I'm so sorry for the suffering that anyone still has to go through today, but if they want to blame anyone they should blame their government for starting the war, refusing to surrender before bombs were dropped, and after the bomb at Hiroshima. Nagasaki could have been avoided if the Japanese had surrendered.

3|1
    0|0
  • Then everyone should be charged. Japan wasn't an innocent bystander in all this.

0|0
    0|0
  • If the world was fair and just, a bomb wouldn't have been dropped in the first place and war would not be an issue.

0|1
    0|0
    • If the world was fair and just there would have been no WW1, WW2 and WW3 (Cold War) and WW4 (War against terror and for oil).
      WW4 isn't yet over and we're starting WW5, this time in Ukraine.

• I agree. Hence, war would not be present if the world was fair and just. Maybe try wording the question a bit differently.

• If the world was fair shouldn't emperor Tojo and all his minions have been put on trial for crimes against humanity. I ask this on behalf of the millions of murdered unarmed civilians and the thousands of allied men that fought to stop their butchery in the far east?

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 13

• Dropping the bomb was the right decision.

"180000 victims were civilians"

What about the other 10s of millions of civilians who were victims of that war? What about the million people in POW and slave camps enduring horrible suffering for every day the war continues. What about the comfort girls being raped hundreds of times a day for each day the war continued? I could go on and on.

I get tired of hearing about the innocent people killed by that bomb. There were something like 60 million people killed in that war and about 59.999 million of them were innocent. Why is there so much focus on those particular innocent people?

The whole damn war was horrible. What happened in Japan is the same thing that has repeated itself many times in history, including that same war in Europe. One side has lost the war. They refuse to surrender. They keep fighting, so you have to keep fighting. It goes on long past when it should have ended, when there was no hope of them winning the war. But they keep fighting. Even after they are virtually destroyed they keep fighting. You have no choice but to drive them so far into the ground that they also have no choice. We've seen this way to many times in history.

1|0
    0|0
  • @9mfeo @gobsmacked3

If the bombs weren't dropped thousands more would of died. The Japanese government and tradition tells the people to kill themselves before being captured by the enemy. I'm sure it was peachy to be an American soldier walking through the piles of dead japanese men, women, and children that had killed themselves or that had been killed by Japanese soldiers.

Not to mention, America and Russia were planning an invasion of mainland Japan that would of spelled death to hundreds of thousands of people fro all nationalities. Also, the Japanese weren't some innocent victims. Not only did they massacre American troops with a surprise and uncalled for attack on American islands in the pacific but they would also torture American POW's in the worst ways humanly possible. One of the nicer treatments was making them do one thousand push-ups over a cesspool.

You also forget that the same people that ordered the dropping of the atomic bombs ordered supplies and medical staff and thousands of US troops to help the japanese civilians and help rebuild japan.

2|0
    0|1
    • Darling, I am aware of the history. It was done to expedite the end of the war. Was it necessary? Perhaps not. Do I understand the implications of what may have been had it not happened? Absolutely.

• Show All
    • THE USAF had destroyed 60+ Japanese cities using napalm.

• Yes but we were preparing for the invasion of Japan with russia. We had tried to fight the Japanese and it was hard. Thousands of men died just for taking one island.

America didn't want anytmore deaths. We didn't want any more war.

• Harry Truman is dead since December 26, 1972 He showed no regrets ( "When you have to deal with a beast you have to treat him as a beast. It is most regrettable but nevertheless true.")
    It seems e had no Vice President ( I don't know why )
    Lieutenant General Leslie Richard Groves, Jr. died 13 July 1970 . He showed no regrets
    William Pearsons died 5 December 1953. He showed no regrets
    Paul Warfield Tibbets, Jr. the pilot died in 2007. He showed no regrets

I think the other ones must be dead too.

1|0
    0|0
    • Truman had no vice when the bomb dropped because he was the Vice. He was FDR's vice president but FDR died before the term was up so Truman assumed the position as president.

• Show All
    • I know he was FDR's VP. But America was in war and I 'd expect a new POTUS to certainly appoint one in this condititions. What if HT had died before the end of the war: who'd have been president and commander in chief then? Some generals , like in any banana republic? :-s

• When LBJ became POTUS after JFKs assassination, he chose Hubert Humphrey.

• I don't know but if we hadn't dropped those bombs then we would have enacted a full scale invasion of their entire country and many, many people would have died. Since the Japanese would have fought to their dying breaths, our experiences in Okinawan showed us how hard it would be to take the mainland to. There is a reason Japan is one of the few countries in the world that has never had an invasion force actually ever land on their shores.

At the end of the day we saved more lives in the long run both allied and axis when we used the bombs.

0|0
    0|0
  • No but I'm sure mao Stalin and Hitler and the leaders of north Korea are in hell

0|0
    0|0
  • its a tough question. how long would the war have dragged on for if the a-bomb was never used? how many more soldiers would have died in battle?

on the other hand, the victims of the a-bomb were civis, which is unforgivable.

was it better to for the americans show their military might, ending the war prematurely, or should the war have been won by more conventional means?

Unfortunately war is never kind.

0|0
    0|0
  • Japan deserved to be nuked for their war crimes.

They attacked Pear Harbor without declaration of war, for starters.

Their behavior in World War 2 in China was nothing short of inhuman savagery. Estimates put the amount of disarmed chinese soldiers and chinese civilians massacred by the Japanese army as high as 300k in the Rape of Nanking alone.

0|0
    0|0
  • But more people probably died in the firebombing of Tokyo than died in the A-bomb blasts. So why limit it, if you are going to charge for acts of war? Also Dresden.

0|1
    0|0
  • The civilians for the most part were not victims. They were part of the Japanese war machine. The bomb saved thousands of Americans so it was worth ending it like that. They deserved what they got and they should have dropped more. Better them than us. People also tend to forget how brutal the Japanese were to their enemies and how they killed millions of Chinese and raped their women. The Japanese deserved a far more devastating end than what they got

1|0
    0|0
  • Considering what the Japanese were doing at the time, whatever it took to make them stop was fair game.

0|0
    1|1
    • And since they refuse to apologize for their bullshit, I don't think we even need to feel the tiniest bit of guilt for the bombs.

• Means that hitler had been wiped out in the begginning and would not be needed any atomic bomb.

0|0
    0|0
    • If Hitler hadn't been brought to power by German industry and Western bankers (Bush family) there would have been no WW2. Hitler had no oil: his tanks and planes depended on American oil companies (Standard Oil of New Jersey) to fight. He paid them with gold robbed in the countries he invaded. That's why Western Europe was in big problems after WW2 and the US thrived.

• If the world was fair and just, there would be no humans.

0|0
    0|0
  • Na, I think they broke some eggs to make an omelette, the Japs did fucking awful things during the war too.

2|0
    0|0