Immigration - Any solutions?

In Europe there has been two immigration stories in the news, an irish naval vessel on a humanitarian mission in meditteraen sea has encountered a capsized boat off the north coast of africa heading for Italy rescuing 360 but 200 are feared dead.
http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0806/719476-migrants-mediterranean/
While in Calais, France there are a growing number of migrants massing trying to gain entry to the UK and security is being stretched to limit to prevent illegal entry to the Channel Tunnel to use as access to UK
http://www.newsweek.com/migrant-crisis-worsens-1700-storm-channel-tunnel-359499
This is one issue where I am totally stumped about what should be done - Anyone else got any ideas?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think about this quite a lot. I feel bad for those people since it is a fact that some of us are privileged – and merely because we happen to be born in certain countries of the world and they are not, shouldn't automatically mean that they will be underprivileged their entire life. This is why it always disgusts me when I hear people talk badly about these immigrants. It's easy to criticise someone when you've been born in a privileged country and had privileges all your life.

However, coming to Europe is not a solution either since not everything that glitters is gold. Assuming that we are now not talking about refugees (i. e. people who are persecuted in their home countries and NEED to escape), I think the majority of these immigrants think that it's going to be relatively easy to make a living here in Europe. But the fact is they generally don't have the same education level as we do in Europe (i. e. finding a good job will be practically impossible), a lot people have prejudices against them; they will have a very, very hard time in general. So as sad as it is, if they leave for economic reasons, it's not very realistic to think that the future that awaits them in Europe (if they make it here alive) will be that much brighter.

I agree with those who have stated that we need to go to the source, i. e. their home countries and tackle the problem there. Of course that is easier said than done, but ideally, we should all find ways to help them to build a good economy, enable them to have good education and enable their countries to grow the way ours have, so that they no longer feel like they've got no future in their countries.

• I think the consensus is that if we improved conditions in source countries it might stem the flow but as you stated that is easier said than done. I think that immigration is one of those issues with no rights or wrongs - We need controlled immigration but where do we place the controls seems to be the controversial aspects of the plan.

Most Helpful Guy

• In an ideal world we would sort out the problem at the source which is the fact that so many people are finding their country undesirable places to live.

• There seems to be a definite consensus that if we improved the source countries things would be better.

What Girls Said 2

• just do what australia did - stop taking them in; just turn them away

cut off welfare benefits too - leeching off Europe's generous welfare benefits is one of the primary reasons illegals come to Europe, especially England

• Might work but there might still be a lot of illegal immigration with lots not seeking asylum just going straight underground in the new country.

• Illegal immigration should not be allowed. Legal immigration , I'm all about

What Guys Said 6

• It's a huge problem in the USA and there's been talk of building a huge wall along the entire border with Mexico. We round up illegals and send them back but they just keep coming. You can't blame them for wanting a developed country for a better life. The solution would be their leaders make their countries more prosperous

• What if there leaders aren't allowed?

• Illegal immigration is a huge problem in the USA, especially here in southern California where I live.

Illegal immigrants are a drain on the nation's tax pool (welfare and government offered services like child care and health care). Many of them work "under the table", thus aren't getting taxed yet draining the tax pool.

Here in southern California, being bilingual is so unnecessarily an asset. Why? To cater to illegals (which most here in southern California are Spanish speaking). Funny how an entire state's economy has catered to illegals. Rather sad I must say.

Lastly, governing bodies in the USA are literally afraid to instill stricter immigration laws and regulations! Why? Because the Latino population in America is growing so exponentially, that the Latino vote has swung American elections in the past 15+ years... and these government parties want to cater to them to gain or retain their votes.

----

It's a huge mess for the USA, I can imagine it is similar for other nations as well.

• Yes I remember reading an article about the growing latino population that they reckoned at some stage in the future Spanish would be americas first language - Europe is at the asylum stage even if that door was closed, vast numbers would still come and work in the black economy.

• I don't to sound racist but I think Europe should be for us Europeans only. And before any of the ''oh, but you colonized and enslaved half of the world before ao it's only fair'', yeah... after being invaded several times by foreigners. And also, only Western Europe did, us Eastern Europeans never even had slaves.

• As I thought it would be it is quite a thorny issue with no clear cut solutions

• The real truth is some type of clean energy. Maybe thorium nuclear power. Better solar and batteries. Reality is a lot of these people leave poor countries because large western governments stop them from developing there resources the way they would like to support there people. We won't let them develop the resources cheaply due to the environmental impacts. It all really gets down to overpopulation at the end of the day. So some combination of increased development of cleaner energy technologies, and worldwide polices to encourage population reduction

• I don't believe that

• @reptocarl that would seem right. To me it looks like unless they have a sufficient enough military deterrent its nothing they can do. Im sure we give them lots of money just not sure under what guise we do it

• You are correct that geopolitical factors are a huge influenc. I agree overpopulation is also a massive problem but I feel any counter measures on these will take generations to have any impact.

• I agree with Reflexy here.
    Another problems is (as far as I know) that there is no proper plan what to do with them once they are here.

I'm just curious as hell why they are trying so hard to get to the UK. I mean, France can't be so bad.

• I wondered about that too and the answer that was given was that the UK processes its asylum applications faster than France, which means that asylum seekers are not left in limbo for inordinate lengths of time. I found that an unsatisfactory answer. It implies that the UK is the fastest state in the EU to process asylum applications when other states are far less anti-immigrant.

There has to be more to it than that.

• They try and get to the UK because from my understanding to work in other europea countries you need an identification card whereas in the uk you dont so much

• I guess this makes sense.
      Didn't the Torries plan to stricten the regulations regarding ID cards?

• This is all part of human evolution. Those people were living their secluded yet comfortable lives in their own countries before the world nations messed it up by invading and deposing their bigamist dictators.

Hope rest of the world learns from this but i fear they will not.

• To a degree you are right this does seem to be a hangover from colonial times.

• I have no interest in what happened in the past colonial age. What is happening since since the past 10-15 years is what alarms me.