How good is your Gaydar?

Disclaimer I have absolutely no problems with gay people but I feel I have the worlds worst gaydar. A person would have to be on a float in a pride parade before I would realise that they might be gay. Over the years I have met and worked with many openly gay people. Nearly every time they have tell me they are gay because I have totally missed it. I was actually jealous of a guy who lived with two gorgeous hairdressers for about year - Yeah never once crossed my mind he could be gay?

Most Helpful Girl

• Not that great, considering the fact that I used to have a little crush on a gay guy who I initially thought was straight 😅

Most Helpful Guy

• yeah but people stereotype so when they meet someone who is gay and doesn't fit that mental picture they can't see beyond the definition that they have, or in your case perhaps you don't notice because truly it makes no odds in your head and the fact you accept them which is actually great.

• Yeah I think you are correct in saying it is not that important maybe only for two gay people who wish to make a romantic connection

What Girls Said 4

• Mine is kinda broken unless they are wearing certain fashion and trends that are like ONLY popular with the community or they say something that just makes me clue in. It is SO hard to tell lol

• Its good with gay men but not lesbians

• Guys can look gay, but they're straight. Its usually good, I try not to base it on stereotypes.

• Im pretty good at it actually

What Guys Said 8

• I think mine is quite good in general, though I also like what @coolbreeze2 pointed out. Not all gay guys actually look gay and not all guys who look gay are in fact gay. For example, I used to have a teacher in high school who was openly gay (he even had his coming out in front of the whole school and got lots of praise from the students and fellow teachers for that ;-)). Yet, he didn't look or act particularly gay. There was nothing about him that made you think "oooh... this guy must be gay!!" At least not after a day or two. He looked completely "normal" if you know what I mean. Only AFTER I already knew that he was gay and after being his student for over a year I started noticing these small quirks that made me think that this must be signs of him being gay. For example the way he bent down when standing next to a student's desk and explaining something to that student. But it was really nothing big.
    On the other hand, I would not be surprised if strangers (especially certain types of guys) would think of me as gay. Though I don't look or act super gayish, I'm generally quite a soft/feminine guy. Especially in terms of my character/personality. And yet, I am straight and have a girlfriend. I just happen to not quite fit into the classic idea of what a "typical straight guy" should be like (and I'm kind of proud about that ;-)).

So yeah... while I believe my gaydar to be quite decent in general, I'm sure there have also been gays that I didn't recognize as such and there might have been straight guys I thought were gay. People like to think in these little boxes and if something or somebody doesn't quite fit into a certain stereotype, they simply forget about it (consciously or unconsciously).

• I went into a bar with a female friend of mine once. She was in a bit of a slump, and she wanted a drink. Feeling bad for her - don't worry, she wasn't my type anyway - I pulled out my gaydar and waved it about a bit.
    For a while it seemed everyone that caught her eye was gay.
    Turns out I was holding it the wrong way around.

• My gaydar never worked. Of course, when a guy whips his JohnTomas out in a men's bathroom, I suspect what he wants.

• I have barely if ever even encountered a gay person, much less interact with one.

• pretty good actually. id say i can identify someone who is gay 90% of the time. I dont have anything against gays though.

• I never activated mine, so I never used it! :-P

• As Coolbreeze said probably doesn't matter if you have one or not

• there's no such thing.