If you knew your child was gonna be born severly deformed, would you abort them?

• Apsolutely not!
  • I wouldn't want to but I would do it so they wouldn't have to suffer

Most Helpful Guy

• I would not. There's a family at my parish who has a disabled son. I see how lovingly and joyfully he is received by those around him. I see how selfless his family is. Why would I, better yet, how could I do less?

Also...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7N9lM1OMA

Most Helpful Girl

• My mom had a really religious friend who's son was missing half his skull and brain they refused to abort him and he suffered in complete agony for the 3 hours before he died. And they dressed him up and took pictures pretending to read to him as he writhed in pain. To me it seemed so selfish that they made him pose for pictures and dipped his hands and feet in paint for "memories" while he was in the process of painfully dying. I have never in my life seen anyone in so much pain as that baby was. I know everyone has a different way of mourning but it was at the cost of so much suffering for the baby the sounds he made still haunt me and I had to pretend to be okay with what was happening. I think they wanted to prove something about being pro-life more than they had their child's best interest at heart and that is the most baffling thing. The doctor even told me she'd asked them if they wanted to abort before his nervous system was developed enough to transmit pain signals, she said to them "In about two months the fetus is going to be in constant pain and if he survives birth he won't live more than a few minutes or hours, are you sure you won't consider it?" but they said no. That's the tough thing about being pro-choice I still think they deserved the choice, I just don't think they made the best one. I would have wanted to save any suffering I could from happening. Their son wasn't even given much dignity as he died, he was propped up in a bath taking staged "bathing photos" for their album and he just screamed even louder and went slack, naked in a room full of people and the top part of his skull wasn't even there. I wanted to wrap up the baby and tell everyone to stop staring at him, I wanted to scream. It was one of the worst days of my life. He had Anencephaly if any one wants to look up more about it.

• This doesn't make sense to me (not the situation, but the people involved). Is there not some kind of pain reliever they could've given the baby? I understand taking pictures of the baby, but not while the child is in pain.

• They were very religious and very against pain medications, the mother wanted a completely "natural birth" which meant not pain killers for her or the baby.

What Guys Said 5

• I voted B... I wouldn't want to birth a child I know would live a subpar life due to birth defects.

• Absolutely not. They would still be my child and I would still love them no matter what.

• I voted 'no', but meant to vote for the other option.

• Yes because it would be cruel to let him/her live and won't be able to know what love from another person is and will be suffering depression that would eventually kill them

• No. If you're born on this Earth you will suffer. It doesn't matter who or what you are. I suffer. You suffer. The people who voted suffer. The people who comment suffer. Everybody. We all suffer from time to time on Earth. That's a part of life. A child that's deformed will just suffer differently.

What Girls Said 5

• My brother was born with homocystinuria which caused him to be mentally handicapped. He is now fifteen, still wears diapers, I have to fix his food but he can feed himself, he has pronation where his ankles are rolling inwards, he can speak only a few words (mostly Momma and Papaw), has 2D vision (can't see depths) so he struggles when the ground changes colors because he's afraid there's a step, he takes several medications three times a day and a shot once a week and he has the mental capacity of a two year old.
    Yet he's the happiest person I know. He calls every old man papaw. He waves as strangers and says Hello. He loves everyone and everything. He gets excited over anything, you could give him a string and he would love you forever. The thought of my mom choosing to abort him just because he'll "suffer" is horrendous. I couldn't imagine a happy life without him.
    Though you may not be speaking of mental deformity, the same goes for myself in regards to physical deformity.

• A friend of the family was born with only half of her brain working and only 2% of her vision, and her spin was severely crooked. When I was around 10 and she was 15, I asked her if she hated that she was born that way her answer was " We are all born the way we where supposed to be born, its how we handle what we where dealt that matters, live the best YOU can." That changed my life forever, I know people today dont believe you are born as what you are supposed to be but I believe we are. Keep in mind this child was conceived perfectly fine but it was towards the 6th month that she was in the womb that she ate her own poop and ended up mentally retarded, blind and physically disformed. So, no just because you think it will be so hard on the child doesn't mean they won't be grateful to be alive and around loved ones.

• I voted totally wrong.

I accidentally voted A but it should have been B. I would get the child aborted.

• Definitely. That wouldn't be fair to carry on, I don't think.

• Nope. Unless it was something super super super terrible I'd let them have a chance to live.