Why do sites have "only for over 18" warnings and age gates?

Seriously, what minor tells the truth about their age?

Even if they write "ONLY FOR +18 ADULTS ONLY! GET OUT IF YOU'RE A MINOR! MINORS ARE NOT ALLOWED! DO YOUR HOMEWORK!" instead of a mere "for +18", I see it as a friendly suggestion.

"Oh, this place is for +18. This gay dating sim may not be suitable for me. I'd better leave and listen to some One Direction songs while studying for my History exam" said no one ever.

I mean, I understand they have to state that the site is for +18 legally, but there's no need to set age gates or shout "NO MINORS ALLOWED". You're not convicing anyone.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's just a warning , so they can cover their asses.

In case something wrong happens , and the child wants to blame the pornsites for it, the can just say "I told you so"

• Yeah but they can just say "this site is for adults", they don't need to act like they want to declare war on everyone under 18

• Like how? How do they insult minors? Do they say, "Minors are fucking stupid" or what? lol

• Like "go do your homework"

Most Helpful Girl

• I think they do it because they think kids will be scared away from it. But that doesn't scare anybody. I remember there was this one site that had that warning and I went anyway but the police didn't come knocking at my door. My cousin was 10 and went to pornhub. Nobody told her parents. But it's probably still wrong anyway. Unless someone give their social security numbers they have no way of knowing if they're lying about their age or not.

What Guys Said 4

• Some questions can require very intimate, sexual replies. Though there is nothing illegal about reading/writing, if it could lead to a hook-up than many states would consider that statutory rape.

• Wow, I thought this was self-explanatory. I guess I underestimated you. Anyway, it's so they can avoid lawsuits and/or boycotts.

• Just so that they can say that they did, in the court of law

• legal reasons

What Girls Said 3

• Because they're legally required to do so. Like takumii said that protects the website and makes it clear that underage users are doing so against site rules and at their own risk.

• But they don't need to go that far, they can just write "for +18 only"

• No, they need to be able to show they took proactive steps so a kid can't be like "ummm I uh didn't see the 18 only yeah... that's it"

• Because they're in legal wrongdoing if they don't put that there.
    Then you're in the wrong, not them.

• Because then if the minor gets caught using the website, the website owner won't get in trouble since they warned them not to enter. .

• This is a BS law. Who's the victim in this crime?

• Your not the victim because you were warned not to enter

• But you said the minor (i hate this word) is the victim?

TBH, there's no criminal or victim here. They only do it because they want to pretend you're asexual before 18