Why get too drunk?

This is not an old person giving out about partying. I have got too drunk thousands of times. 3/4/5 drinks, feel merry, have a good time but after that it gets messy so simple question why do some people (probably myself included) take it too far?

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe boredom, maybe people feel nervous around others so they drink more.

• The nerves is a good point but getting messy makes the situation twice as nerve wracking next time around

Most Helpful Guy

• I think there are different reasons to this. One is certainly genetics. For some people it's simply harder to stay away from alcohol than for others. I am lucky because I don't really like alcohol a lot. I'm very picky about alcoholic drinks and find most of them too bitter. This has helped me to stay away from alcohol more than others.
    Secondly, it has to do with your social environment. What social class you come from, what sex you have (men tend to have this problem more frequently than women) but also what sort of example your dad (or your parents) was/were, what kind of friends you have etc.. For somebody living in a peer group where it's considered normal and self-understanding to drink, it will be harder to say no.
    Thirdly, it has to do with culture. Now, you're Irish, so you know how to drink (at least you guys are very famous for it). Same goes for England or the US. However, as a continental European I would make the (maybe somewhat insulting) claim that you don't actually have a drinking culture. What I mean by that is that in places like England or the US (I know less about Ireland), people don't drink so much because they enjoy the taste or the social setting that comes with it but more like because you're considered a "real man" or a "real Englishman" or simply cool if you drink. I experienced this very much when I was living in the US. In America, people drink two things: beer or hard liquor (Californians are an exception). Now, beer can be enjoyed but most of the ones they have in America taste terrible compared to some British or German or Swiss or Finnish beers. Hard liquor can be appreciated too but not if you drink it in big amounts. When I was in America, I just could never get rid of this feeling that most Americans don't actually want to enjoy or appreciate their alcohol... they just sort of wanna pour it down as fast as possible and as much of it as possible in order to get drunk. It's very different culture than what they have in France or what we have in Switzerland where people drink less hard liquors but rather a glass of good wine for dinner and it's more about how the wine fits to the food and how it's a nice treat (and a social drink) than whether you actually feel anything from it.
    Lastly, I also think it has to do with maturity. I got terribly drunk about 3 times in my life and I did some stupid stuff. I've learned my lesson. I now get that there's not really a point in getting drunk. I guess other people need more time.

• All very good points - I agree continental Europe has a much more civilised approach to alcohol

What Girls Said 6

• Because your in the moment and your like ah one more drink. Like me last night finished a bottle of wine which has been a little while for me so My tolarence is lower yep over did it. Was well needed though unlike my blinding headache in the morning.

• There is really no one answer. I think a big reason is to forget real life for a while, though.

• well the effect is delayed so while a previous drink is hitting you, you are sipping another one

• I only do that when i'm trying to forget. Already did my hard partying lol

• It takes time and experience, to know when you need to hold back. I got too drunk almost every time, in the beginning of my drinking career, simply because I didn't know how much I could take, or the signs my body showed me, saying "In two more shots you are completely shitfaced, and will vomit on the floor, stop drinking right now!"
    I still drink a lot when I drink, but now I know when to drink some water, when to hold back, pausing, go puke somewhere no one can see me, so I don't lose control anymore. Being black out drunk is NOT fun! (When your body basically goes to autopilot, your mind is nowhere to be found, you have no control and you can't remember anything the next day, just so non-drinkers know) When you get to know your limitations, you will stop getting completely out of hand drunk - if you are just the least bit smart, that is.

• To forget and just be numb for a bit...

What Guys Said 5

• I never get that drunk. I personally don't find a night where you are so drunk you are vomiting everywhere to be a fun night. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with having a few drinks but I don't believe in the "If you can remember what happened that night you did not have a good night" belief that some people have.

• I only go as far as the tip of the buzz, never drunk off my ass. i like it that way lol.

• For me, I'm a happy drunk and I enjoy feeling a heavy buzz. The key is to stay hydrated by drinking water, and pacing out the drinking. I might take three shots in a 20mins, then I'll sip on a virgin drink or water and let the alcohol absorb in my body.

• Good plan - Must get into routine maybe after every two beers have a water instead of another beer

• I truly believe that is ur issue... hydrate your body with some water between drinks! 8-)

• "If this many feel this good, then more must feel better, right? Right?"

• I live by my creed on getting drunk. A bottle a day keep the memories away. Wait, what was this post about again?

Why no, I've never thought about buying up timeshares. Please, do go on.