First time kitten/cat owner, but experienced with dogs. Should I get 2 little male kittens?

Hi guys. My dog recently left the Earth over 2 weeks ago and my little sister and my mother have been scratching for Kittens even before my Dog's death. It's been really lonely without Alfie with us, after having him for almost 4 years, and they keep going on about it. My mother has owned over 14 dogs in her whole 49 years, and my little sister has only been alive for 3 of them. They have never owned kittens or cats before, but like them very much. I personally am not a big fan of cats as I think I'm allergic to them, but I haven't been around many to know that for sure.
Now I've been changing my mind sort of about getting these 2 kittens, even though it'd take me some time to warm up to them but I'm not sure if I should get 2 males like my family want or just the one to see how we go. They think they know what it takes to raise and train 2 little kitties, but I just think they're getting a bit ahead of themselves. Am I being selfish by only getting 1 kitten, or not kittens at all? We all want the kittens but I don't know if getting 2 is the right thing for right now.

What do you guys think? Thanks. I'm 18, my little sister is 11 in a month and my Mother is 49.
Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, they come into season as early as 4 months old
    so the males and females are all the same way you can
    get them neutered and spayed at 4 months old too the
    thing is 2 males can who are brothers can live together
    vise versa 2 females who are sisters can live together
    it would be great idea having a sister and brother together
    unless they are both fixed also male cats can want get outside
    when they smell a female cat in heat so there is lot things you
    got to consider and cats can be messy with litter boxes too.

Most Helpful Girl

• Cats are pretty self explainatory and with two of them, they're more likely to keep one another company and diminish kitty favoritism. They're basically like dogs really. Create rules, keep boundaries, and feed twice a day.

Of course I sit here telling you all this as I watch one of the cats manipulate my grandma XD

What Guys Said 1

• Cats are pretty low maintenance just remember that they will mark you (piss on you in the form of a spray) and they will bring you dead animals and heads as a gift for you, kitten kisses are actually slow eye blinks, just do the same in return and learn to love kitten britches.

What Girls Said 6

• As long as they are neutered (don't declaw!) I think it sounds fine - they can play with each other :) I've had dozens of cats in my life (well, cats and a ton of kittens).
    Kittens are easy to take care of. They don't need much training other than potty and don't scratch, and they kind of entertain themselves.

• Definitely get two. Cats are very very low maintenance. If there are two cats, they can play with themselves and have company when you guys don't want to play with them.

• I'm allergic to cats but please pleeeease get this one :)
    zuzutop.com/.../margay-tiger-cat-1.jpg
    Or this one
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...37f15a56df.jpg
    A CAT THAT LOOKS LIKE A TIGER!!! So cute :)

• One kitten is plenty enough. Young pets are a handful. If you're not sure how you feel about cats, I'd recommend interacting with them a little more before adopting via animal shelters or a friend's cat. It's a big decision, so don't feel selfish for not wanting to adopt two kittens at once. I wouldn't count too much on your little sister taking a lot of responsibility over pets at this age, but you can teach her to do little things. Researching into the subject never hurts either.

• Do not get two males. If either one of them is territorial you could very easily have issues with spraying. If you want more than one at a time, I suggest one of each gender or two females.

• cats are a wonderful addition to a family. i recommend getting both. they won't be hard to train. try to get them neutered when they are old enough (usually around 10-12 months) to avoid spraying.