Have you ever grown/caught your own food?

Like gardening fruits and veggies, catching fish or hunting animals?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I grow apples, gooseberries, currants, blackberries, cherries and blueberries currently in my garden. There were also potatoes and rhubarb at one point. Though I'm not saying any of my yields are fantastic :P (except the apples and blackberries, the birds get to everything else first)
    I also keep chickens, not for meat mind you. I'd never eat my fluffy pets :O

Most Helpful Girl

• I caught a few fish when I was younger, but my sister and I made our parents put them back.

My mother grows basil, cilantro, rosemary, and thyme. Her basil plants are bountiful. She dries the leaves, and I take some to college with me.

We've never killed a mammal or bird for food.

My granddad killed opossum, raccoon, hogs, turtles and yearling bulls. He ate them all.

My uncle would shot birds and have my grandmother clean and cook them.

My plan is to have a farm and raise chickens in order to be as self reliant as possible.

What Guys Said 15

• Yes, I don't hunt, but my family has a garden. I have to continually weed it, pick the vegetables and stuff, and take care of it. We also have a successful lime and lemon tree growing and producing fruit.

• Yep grown fruit and veg. Raised and killed animals. Hunted and fished, both with spear and self-bow.

I don't particularly advocate any of it... though fishing with a bow on a pleasant day might have been fun.

• Yes, I have two loquat trees and 1 lemon tree in my backyard.
    I also go fishing every now and then.

• I've fished and picked fruit off of trees and shrubs in the wild... but that's about it.

I would like to go hunting, though! :-D

• yeah, I have a garden. And I've caught fish before..

• Yes I've gone fishing and I picked vegetables from a place that grows them.
    The only thing left on my list is to go hunting.

• Had to live off the land as a kid because we were broke. We hunted, fished, and had a huge vegetarian garden that we tended by hand, we had a wood stove which we collected wood for ourselves. The only regular expense was petrol for our generator (so we could charge our batteries for the water pump and watch tv occasionally) and vehicles. Now as an adult I'm planning on becoming more and more self-sufficient as I can gain resources to do so.

• Yes, I have. I have fished, and I have grown vegetables.

• Hunted and fished, don't really enjoy it. I like growing herbs and veggies.

• Yes, I've done all of the above. I have a number of things grow out back right now...

• I once caught 2 fish with one fishing hook. Still kinda proud of that, to this day.

• Yup. Shouldn't talk about it, I might "offend" somebody. Ooo.

• Picked raw mangoes from the neighborhood

• damn. industrial revolution what have you done. you made that question tha was unthikable some decades ago to be the norm of how people live!

• That question hasn't been unthinkable for centuries. Do you think blacksmiths, carpenters, or stonemasons had time to farm? Or the land to do it on? As long as cities and trade have existed, there have been people who bought their food.

• most people did have at least a garden and a few animals. even the blacksmith. he had a wife back home.

• Yes, yes and yes.

What Girls Said 10

• I grew up in a hunting, fishing, gardenia kind of family, so did my husband. My Dad really stressed that if you killed something that you were going to eat it and not waste it. In that respect I view hunting and fishing in the same way I view gardening, either way you are working for what you eat.

• We grow tomatoes and herbs. We used to grow rhubarb but we weren't eating it so we dug it up. I'd love to have a kitchen garden but I hate weeding.

• Yes, I've had a garden with my family and went hunting with my father. I don't do either now. One, I'm living away from my family. Two, I can't stand to hunt poor, little animals now, hah. Even though @PiuBelloAmante thinks it's badass. :P

• i have my own garden and greenhouse i grow peppers, gourds, lavender, rosemary, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic, horseradish, chamomile flowers, basil, astilbe, grapes, honeysuckle, petunias, mint, and cilantro. my garden is the only thing i love about summer my favorite season is winter but the only thing i hate about winter is that my garden looks like a post apocalyptic, barren wasteland.

• Only partially. I have grown strawberries and tomatoes, but they don't so well in this country's climate.

• I grow all the fruits and vegetables I eat or get them from local Mennonites. When I became a pescetarian last year I started fishing.

• Caught my own food before: fishing.

• I have done all of those things. My family has a vegetable and fruit garden. And since we live in a region which is surrounded mostly by lakes and woods fishing and hunting is popular. Actually today is the opening of duck hunting season.

• nah.. i m too lazy..

• I once went fishing and didn't catch anything