Sexism in video games?

I'm trying to prove a point to my boyfriend.
We were talking about a game we both play (Runescape specifically) and in this game there is a minor case of sexism (I mean really minor as it is one of very few in the game) in this specific case female members of a group are easier to pickpocket than males (you can pickpocket females at level 15 and males at 20). His argument is that is is not sexist because it wasn't intentinal. He went on to argue that it is not be a case of sexism as there is sexism against men as well (There is a quest in game that you have to change your character to a female to complete). I tried explaining that he was using a case of sexism against males as a way to excuse sexism against females, which he didn't like, even called me a feminazi over this (which is whate really offended me since I merly made a minor statment about how that was a small case of sexism) The argument is not blowing way out of preportion as I only wanted him to see there was a case of sexism - which he doesn't - and an apology for being called a feminazi.

Anyway do you think in this case that it is sexist (over all the game is pretty good about equality etc. which is great but in this specific case do you think it is)?

I do know this isn't a big deal - I am well aware of the fact it doesn't really matter it was just a topic that came up in discussion and I understand there are bigger issues out there. I am not in fact one of those girls who point out ever injustice in the world as some people have said, I just have a natural curiosity about other people opinions and have this thing about proving I'm right when I (think I) am.

Most Helpful Guy

• That is SO unrealistic. Women would be way harder to pickpocket.

For one, their wallet is often in their purse, which we all know is like a black hole and contains stuff beyond your wildest dreams.

Secondly, what man in his right mind tries to slip his hand down the pockets of an unsuspecting strange woman? You think cat calling is controversial? This could earn you a well-deserved slap.

Third, guys don't look after their money. We don't look after anything. How many guys walk around with their wallet poking out of their back pocket, ripe for the picking?

• This made me laugh.. Kinda true though - I'd like to see a guy get into my purse without me noticing when he has to dig through at least 10 pounds of junk (giant purse) to get to my wallet which always get stuck at the bottom

• Lol there are probably corpses of failed pickpockets at the bottom of it...

Most Helpful Girl

• In this runescape case both of your points are right it's kinda sexist which makes both of u guys points right. But overall the gaming iindustry is built for guys because it's where demand is at. It's like clothes shops. It's quite unfair in how most shops have a high amount of women's clothes. That's because shopping is more geared towards girls. It's basic principles of economics and in both cases its not really sexist but more business thinking. You can't say gaming is sexist intentionally because if a company knows a lot lot more men play it they'll obviously change it up for them. You need to calm down with your feminism no ooffence but when girls like u talk about trivial things that dont matter it makes every feminist seem like a feminazi. Im not saying you shouldn't be a feminist but thinking everything should be equal is impossible and therefore unnecessary arguments come of it like this one.

What Guys Said 14

• Pointing out "small cases of sexism" is what irritates guys that hate feminazis. If it's a really big issue, then many guys would even be upset over it and wouldn't be upset by people pointing it out because it's a legitimate issue. However, small, nitty-gritty details are what usually irritate guys that hate feminazis the most because it's usually those sorts of things that feminazis point out and make them a huge issue even though they're not. In those guys' minds, if it's not a big enough issue for them to be put off by it, then it's not an issue and doesn't need to be made into one.

Honestly, I don't think it's sexist just because male and female characters are not absolutely identical NPC's and would probably be irritated if someone pointed that out to me, as well. I wouldn't want "little cases of sexism" pointed out to me. If I didn't notice it, I wouldn't want someone to point it out to me.

• You're right - pointing out every tiny "injustice" is annoying at times because there are huge issues that are ignored for the smaller things, I just mentioned it as it came up in conversation and he wouldn't drop it.

• Yup, agreed.
      Hmm, I see. It could be that it just really bothered him.

• What's wrong with sexism? Men and women are different. So they SHOULD be treated differently. Sexism is a reflection of reality. If you don't believe that's true, then why are you at a site like this? The entire purpose of this site is based on the idea that men and women are different.

The fact that something so trivial is even an issue shows how badly the world is losing focus on what's important. If you make such a big deal out of this, then maybe your boyfriend is right calling you a feminazi. If it was me and you started going on about this, I'd probably dump you asap.

• You are right - there are a lot of ways feminine people are different and masculine people are - I don't think it really pertains to "male and female" rather than more physical and mental nature of people in general. I wasn't making a huge deal out of it - he did, because I made a small comment and he blew it out of proportion, I tried to shut the argument down by saying it was just a comment and there was no need to argue about it but he wouldn't drop it after I asked if he was going to apologize for calling me a feminazi

• No it isn't m usually games give advantages and disadvantages to each gender. Males may have a disadvantage in something else that women don't.
    The reason it's separated in genders is because it's easier to program, that way you don't have to add it to each different individual one at a time.

It's just a way to save time, nothing else, especially not sexism.

• There is sexism against both genders in video games along with virtually every form of entertainment.

He is doing what a lot of juvenile people do. By pointing out a different case of sexism somehow he thinks that nullifies your case of sexism. They're both there. And yeah they're both minor that I really wouldn't give a damn. There's way worse ones out there than that. I think you guys should just drop the argument because it's not worth something as minor as those cases of discrimination but he should apologize for over reacting and calling you a feminazi.

• I don't really care all that much either - it's almost an inimitable part of life to come across sexism in minor cases everywhere - the argument just got blown out of control when he called me a feminazi and I just want him to see my point before we drop it.

• Sexism has always been real in video games, even my 14 year old brother noted that to me when he was 10 and playing GTA and got angry at the way they portrayed the female characters.

In my experience many guys react like your boyfriend for reasons I can't really explain. But calling your a feminazi? Really? Immature or a jackass, he needs to apologize either way.

• If both males an female get advantages and disadvantages it's ok.

"I tried explaining that he was using a case of sexism against males as a way to excuse sexism against females, which he didn't like, even called me a feminazi over this"

Which he should have, being that you are using the supposed "sexism" against females to excuse the "sexism" against males (cause it's not sexism, it's balance) effectively making you a hypocrite. Way to go.

• Sexism in video games is a real thing, it has always been one of the "male havens" of the world, outside of men's locker rooms and barbershops.

• you still play runescape? lol... old school or what? ugh haven't played rs since 2010 am... its bs now... not the best anymore... its ruined..-.-... yh fam?

• RS 3, you have to view it as a different game altogether basically since so much has changed. It's still a decent game if you're more into easy skill training and lore and story line, but for the people who enjoyed the older "harder" version it is ruined you're right.

• I'm surprised you didn't mention the differences with armor or outfits. Yeah there's some out there and video games do cater mostly to males rather than females, since they make up the bulk of the gamers out there.

• Well there's that too but that's in every game out there (with a few exceptions) I just mentioned it and it irritated me that he wouldn't admit it was even the slightest bit sexist.

• As a grown man I've learn that you gotta laugh at the small things. If we get annoyed by every little thing we end up living in a controlled PC society.

• Fucking H. A. M women? Really? Screw 'em, they're all thick. Gnome child for life.

• Well if you follow the the storyline yeah all H. A. M. members are retarded - Just always one of my little pet peeves about the game

• Bah, to be fair I found it a bit weird years back but I highly doubt there's any malcontent behind it :P
      If it's any help, the Queen Black Dragon is an absolute beast compared to the King xD

• That is true - and I don't think it was meant to offend or anything - it was probably a quick fix for coding that got overlooked. Like I said not a big deal just wanted my boyfriend to see it was a teeny bit sexist.

• Maybe they're just being realistic?

• 😂😂😂😂😂😂 wow

• It's not sexism because even in real life. Women are more likely to be pick-pocketed, meaning it's easier to pick pocket women (look up the statistics). It's kind of ridiculous to start an argument from that.

• It's not easier its just more successful based on more attempts. It is a ridiculous argument I agree - He blew it out of proportion and I just want him to see my point.

What Girls Said 4

• There's a long history of sexism in games, my dove. That's not perhaps the best example (I grant you it's a weird thing - why not just unlock pickpocketing at a particular level for all characters or NPCs?) but it's a well studied and well known phenomenon.

• I know there is - as a gamer, woman and feminist it drives me nuts playing a lot of games that I do play. It's not a great example for sexism in games over all it's just the trigger of the argument.

• He agrees there is sexism in video games in general - just doesn't agree that this case is a case of sexism.

• I don't really either. It's just kind of a weird design thing, in my opinion.

• There is no sexism in games, especially not in this case. Women are simply slightly weaker on average, it's also a minor plot point in Runescape. Deal with it.

• i think it's a bit nitpicky

• Sexism is very real in video games just as it exists in almost every walk of life especially in areas where men take a greatest role. I've given up caring, just don't date an asshole and life goes on...