Girls, Walking alone in the dark?

My new job has early morning hours -- joy. It's not the waking up at 3:00 am that makes me nervous, it's the walking alone to the bus stop in the dark that makes me nervous. I've been doing this for about a week now and each time I come across some creepy homeless guy, or harassed for change -- how can I safely walk alone in the dark? I have no choice, I need my job and I need my money.

21

Most Helpful Girl

• Are you scared because you're walking in a place that is genuinely dangerous, because you're not very street smart, or just because you're a little nervous? I've been an independent city girl my whole life, and I routinely walk alone through areas people tell me I should never be in after dark, let alone by myself. Most of the time I feel completely comfortable, but I always know who is around me, I don't walk close by tall bushes or cars or anything similar that would allow someone to surprise me. And on those rare cases where I notice someone following me or just something about them makes my hair stand up, I trust my instincts and get the hell out of there. If your fears are legit but you can't avoid the travel, consider ways to mitigate the danger, like changing your route and timing so you're not completely predictable, or finding someone else (maybe from the same job) who is awake at that time and expecting you to check in so if something goes wrong, you'll be noticed quickly. If your fears are just paranoid, find statistics or stories of people like me that will repeatedly contradict the beliefs that make you scared (and stop listening to the violent crime stories on the nightly news). If you're not sure which kind of fear you're struggling with, go get Gavin DeBecker's book The Gift of Fear.

• It's just the nerves kicking in. It's quiet at 5am in my hood -- kind of creepy.

• Take a self-defense/ martial arts class or carry mace if it makes you feel more comfortable. Probably, just time will allow you to grow used to the routine and it will start to seem normal. AND you'll have a clear image of how it's supposed to be so that anything out of the ordinary will catch your attention. And that's what you want - to be comfortable with all the usual sights and sounds and smells and to notice if the same guy has been following you for more than a block.

What Girls Said 20

• Just make Sure you walk with confidence and maybe don't walk the same route every morning, change it up a bit.

• Don't walk the same route, don't wear headphones - you want to be aware of your surroundings, carry pepper spray, get one of those emergency apps on your phone which alert a relative or friend that you are in trouble while also locating you) or something with you that makes you feel safer (you can also buy those really loud panic alarms). And more than anything, don't worry to much about it because i'm pretty sure all the serial killers in the world are asleep in bed.

• do not show your fear to them.
    if they see it they will try more.
    Usually those people you mentioned are harmsless. They just want some change. They just look at you with meaningless eyes. Just turn your head when you see them.

Always be alert.
    Carry some items like pepper spray , a knife. Phone is always in your pocket So you can call someone in case of emergency.

• Buy something to defend yourself, a gun for example lol jk Just something easy to carry, like pepper spray. If he ever tries to do something to you just call the police.

• Don't say that, his exisyemce doesn't make him creepy. Some people fall on hard times you know.

But I do understand why you have anxiety, I would as well. Nothing worse than waiting for a bus in pitch black, not to mention isolated. Maybe by sone mace ir a taser. Otherwise, find another method of transportation, ask for a different schefule, or find a new job,

• If I were you, I would get a conceal carry permit and take a class on using guns. But if wherever you live has gun laws I would get pepper spray if you can't get pepper spray use hair spray it has the same effect that pepper spray has. You can also download safety apps in your phone.

• Ok always keep 911 easy to dial on your phone, walk with confidence and not too slow, you're not having a relaxing time walking on the beach so keep your pace steady.
    There are a few objects that can't be called out as dangerous or unusual, at least not on a woman's bag: Carry a mini can of hairspray and a metal nail sharpener (those ones that are pointy).

• Don't carry a knife then you haveto bring that to work. Pepper spray is acceptable, but even better idea call a taxi to your home. If you're budgeting that shouldn't be a big deal compared to getting hurt.

• Keep pepper spray in your bag and always have your phone in your hand and ready to call someone. Always look around your surrounding. Stay safe.

• Carry an umbrella if u need to bash the idiot.

• I would so self defense

• Flashlights. And switch knife for safety. Pepperspray. An alert button. That goses off during emergency.

• Do you carry pepper spray?

• Always be alert. Be aware of your surroundings. Carry pepper spray with you

• You're from Canada, so getting a CW is not an option for you I think, you guys have weird laws up there when it comes to firearms. I would carry some pepper spray then.

• Carry around pepper spray. A lot of places have then to where to hook to your key ring.

• Try getting some mace or do what my mom does and carry a knife.

• switch knife a whistle?

• Pepper spray? Consider a taxi? Is that the only bus stop you can walk to?

• Pepper spray and a pocket knife