Do you think a lot of stuff we hear about WW2 is wrong?

i think hitler was trying to fight communism, but people think he was a mad man who wants every thing dead, if he was so raciest why did he team up with the japanse? right ater the war the US starts the cold war with russia because russia is communism.

“History is written by the victors.”

• I agree with you
  • I think your wrong
  • Other (explain)

Most Helpful Girl

• The Japanese were a useful tool to him. He didn't care what happened outside of continental Europe. Sit down and take your neo-Nazism with you.

• But why did he declare war on the United States? If Japan was the one who attacked us why do we think that Europe was the major turning point of the war instead of focusing just on Japan?

• Who knows? But he was never in a position to threaten the US.

• The US was sending LOTS of supplies to Europe. Germany went to great lengths to stop it. Supply lines are a major part of any war.

Most Helpful Guy

• Hitler wasn't trying to fight communism. He was trying to "unify" his people, the Aryan people. He envisioned a race of white people he referred to as Aryans whom he thought to be the master race, genetically superior to all over races.

Although Hitler hated communism, his main goal always was the removal of the jews and other non-Aryans from his land (Germany and the captured areas). The whole reason Hitler had the communists, the Jews, Gay people, Gypsies, etc. put to death in his death camps was because no other nation wanted them and to him, they were less than human. They were barely animals to him. A blight to be removed from his great nation. And he exterminated them as one would exterminate an insect from their garden. (Perhaps it's fitting then that Zyklon B, a common German pesticide of the time, was used to gas the victims of the death camps.)

It's true, he was not a "mad man" who "[wanted] everything dead" as you say. He may have had some mental issues, especially with rage. But I don't think he was crazy, per se. And as for him wanting everything dead, it's not that he was a homicidal maniac... he just didn't care. These people, the jews, gypsies, gays, communists, etc, they were nothing to him. Something to simply be removed. It wasn't that he wanted them dead. It was just that he wanted them not to be around anymore and he didn't care if they died. Horribly.

History being written by the victor just means there will be a slant... It doesn't necessarily mean everything will be made up. Most of it will usually be true and accurate.
    And Historians, the people who study such events of human history, are largely unbiased. Historians agree, hitler wanted jews dead b/c they were in his way. He wanted to control Europe, and perhaps one day the whole world.

As a final thought, one general who was responsible for leading a liberation of one of the camps knew there would be those who denied that such barbaric actions could really have happened. So to ensure there could be no doubt, he ordered his men to walk through the camp and look on the horrors the nazis perpetrated. They saw mass graves. Dead bodies left to rot. Roads paved with jewish tombstones. Walking skeletons that once resembled human beings. And these men who had braved some of the fiercest battles of the war broke down and cried openly on their knees at the sight of these horrors and at the understanding that human beings (the nazis) had done these things to other human beings.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm sure you're right. People have Hitler all wrong. He was actually a nice bloke. Very charitable, loved puppies, sunshine and lollipops. He always helping those less fortunate than him and respected and loved everyone. Especially the Jews. He treated them really well

memecrunch. com/meme/1JKDK/hitler-incazzato-lol/image. png

• Actually Hitler was very fond of his dog. Not in the biblical sense.

• You didn't do too well in world or late US history, did you, anon :/

• Well, I doubt it because as far as I know Hitler was initially allied with Russia until Russia was like lol jk bye - Hitler called it a great betrayal or something like that.

(Look it up. I could be wrong.)

• Other way around. Hitler betrayed Stalin. He invaded USSR's side of Poland (they each initially took half of Poland).

Fun fact: Stalin was so shocked when Hitler betrayed him that he became reclusive for a few weeks and his generals had to make all the major decisions at the beginning of the war.

• Oh ok @Octavius - thanks! That sounds right. Need to do some research apparently.

• He was planning to invade Japan

• Yikes.. I've studied WW2 briefly and that man was not out to fight communism solely, dear.

• I only believe what I am taught in school. But I respect and are intrigued but myths such as this

What Guys Said 17

• I'm an old fart. Not old enough to remember WW2, but too old for WW2 to be in most history books when I was in school. So I never formally studied it. It's just things I've picked up along the way and pretty spotty.

I thought much of the deal with Russia is basically because they were in the way. Wasn't Russia (Ukraine?) just the easiest route to oil sources? I'm sure there was more to it than that, but wasn't that the reason for the big push into Russian territory?

I also thought he was very anti-communist. But I don't know how much that had to do with his war against Russia. Was anti-communist rhetoric really just a rallying cry to unite the people behind him and promote nationalism? I'm taking stabs in the dark, since I don't really know.

As for the basic question, "Do you think a lot of stuff we hear about WW2 is wrong?"

Of course. But there are just some facts that can't be ignored or written off. You have to keep things in context of the times. Pretty much everyone was racist back then. The difference is what Hitler and his cronies actually did with it. While some details might have gotten lost or changed over the years, much of what he did is irrefutable.

• BULL
    SHIT

hitler were only working towards "lebensraum", which incidentally involved all of Europe. H didn't care about politics, he cared about the germanic race's suppremancy. That's what mattered to him. He was in all lements, a nazi

• Hitler teamed up with Japan because he lacked the ability to fight in Europe, Africa, and the Pacific Theatre. Do you think the Holocaust was a hoax? Russia started the Cold War with its handling of East Germany. Read more history from original sources.

• What was Hitler's plan for the US and Canada? I know he did almost start a Luftwaffe campaign against the US

• While the ethnic cleansing is sometimes placed with exagerated importance (origionally it seems to have been more about needing a scapegoat combined with already prevelent anti-semitic sentiment, which became more broadly focussed, and fanatical as he sank into meglomania, and his officers were increasingly hired from heavily infoctrinated groups.)
    But he wasn't particularly fighting communism, just trying to restore germany to a fictitious 'glory days of yore' inspired by the Holy Roman Empire.

• Hitler teamed up with everyone who was helpful to him (Japan, Romania, Japan, serval arabic countries, Finland...). He did also team up with the Russians at first. The point is Hitler mainly fought non-communist countries and he obviously did not care. I think Hitler did oppose communism but had other priorities.

• Hitler was not trying to stop the spread of Communism, all he cared about was establishing his racist ideology across Europe. His main goal was to perform ethnic cleansing on Europe. Why he chose to single out certain ethnic groups (i. e. Jews, Slavs, and Romani) to be exterminated while treating others as second class citizens, we don't know. Hitler's alliance with Japan was mainly out of convenience and many in Japan at the time did share similar ideologies to the Nazis.

• I chose other.

As stated by @OlderAndWiser Hitler needed an ally in the Pacific Theatre and was indirectly responsible (he didn't gas people himself) for the Holocaust. Originally Hitler was seen as a force against communism which is one of the reasons the Allies waited so long to open a second front. They were hoping Hitler would weaken the Soviets so that way when the Allies would come in and the war would end the Soviets would have less power. They were going to enter the war after Stalingrad regardless they were just hoping the Soviets would lose.

There is actually some debate whether Hitler was as bad as history makes him seem since people didn't have to follow his orders, they chose to. At the same time Hitler was the exact contrast to Stalin. Hitler was loved by his own people and hated by everyone else while Stalin was hated by his own people but loved by the Warsaw pact.

• Of course people could have chosen not to follow Hitler's orders, but since they would have been tortured, killed and replaced by someone who would do what they were told, that wasn't such a tempting option.

• @AngryHorny The people that served in the concentration camps could've asked to be reassigned to the front lines but they chose to stay.

• You clearly know nothing about Hitler.

• A lot of what we believed about the war was actually based on propaganda and misinformation, but increasingly the truth is coming out. If you want to study the war there is plenty of good material available and it is a fascinating subject.

I think it's wrong to credit Hitler with anti-Communist ideology. Hitler fought the Russians but he equally fought the French and British, both solid capitalist nations. Hitler was simply promoting, as he saw it, German ascendancy.

As for the race thing, he tried to exterminate the Jews and discriminated against blacks. I don't think he was much concerned about the Japs, but he just felt that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

• If Hitler would double cross Benito Mussolini, a fellow white European, he would double cross Japan for sure. #JustSayin

• Hitler was the spawn of Satan himself!

Look here, bub. Hitler was purely evil. Jews aren't Communists but he had them exterminated anyway. He did experiments on them. It was terrible. Ever heard of the Holocaust? I'm sure Hitler hated Communism, but that's not why WWII was stared. You are way off.

• Nothing
    Can
    Excuse
    Genocide

• It might be coz as u said history is written by victors

• History is written by the victors. Who really knows in the end?

• because he saw the japanese as honourable. he hated jews, blacks, arabs.

• and considering there are documents still preserved, video footage, and people still alive (albeit very old), i doubt you can say it's all made up... but nice attempt because you detest accuracy... loll.

• Hitler was trying to fight communism, but, he was also trying to fight democracy, guy was a complete satan

• Hitler's aim was to 'purify' the German people and enslave all others probably with the eventual aim of replacing them with 'Aryans'. I guess if you are an Aryan and a sociopath that's not such a bad thing.