When do you usually order college textbooks?

I'm gonna be a freshman in college this fall. I start orientation August 25. My mom keeps bugging me about ordering my text books but I haven't received a list yet. I'm a huge procrastinator and I'm the first in my family to go to college so I don't know if I'm supposed to already have ordered text books yet? I thought you order them after your first day because don't professors tell you what books you'll need on the first day or do you order them before class starts typically?

• You typically order textbooks after the first day of class
  • The professors usually give the textbooks to you in class on the first day
  • You should have already gotten a list before class starts on which textbooks you'll need
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• Usually the list is on the college's bookstore website, typically. Usually first semester they just tell you what you need and you get them at the bookstore. Most colleges they tell you in the first day of class, "Alright, this book here" *professor holds book up* "is the one you're going to need for class. Make sure you get it and your reading assignment will be blah blah blah due next week" or something like that. The first week or so is pretty relax, typically, and professors don't expect you to have all of the books on the first day, but it's encouraged to be prepared. After you get through your first semester, though, buy books on Amazon at used prices. It's MUCH cheaper. Also Abebooks is another really nice website for ordering used textbooks at cheap prices. I'd also recommend renting them, if you can, and you can do that through Amazon. It's way cheaper. You won't get hardly anything from bookstores at college for returns so you're saving tons of money by renting and returning them at the end of the school year.

Most Helpful Girl

• i look up which books i need on the school bookstore website and get them before class starts. Usually professors start assigning stuff the first day. I tried not to buy the books from the bookstore because they're usually way too expensive. Renting them is sometimes an ok option and buying them from Amazon (and then selling it back) is another option. You might also be able to find a facebook group for your school where people post what books they're selling and you could try buying it used from a classmate. Also, if i was taking a class with a close friend, sometimes we would go in together on a book and just share it.

What Guys Said 5

• I always waited until after classes started.. half of the time it was clear that you actually don't need half of those... or you can borrow a friends here and there... I just used an amazon prime account that you get a discount on with being a student to order them all super fast by the following week, and used for super cheap! Also, ask your prof if you actually need the newest addition or not, often they just had a few things or corrections, so your page numbers may be a bit off, but you will save tons and tons of money! I bet i saved well over a thousand dollars over four years doing this.

• Back in the days of yore, when we fought saber toothed cats with our spears and classes were taught using cave paintings, there was no "internet" (GASP!) and we had to physically go to the college bookstore and stand in lines and buy the books! There was a shop off campus across the street that dealt with used college books and it was much cheaper. That's where I went.

I always waited until after class had started. Sometimes the syllabus changed and the book store didn't mark the right books for the class.

I know this wasn't helpful at all, but I couldn't resist an opportunity to make a grumpy old man remark. ;)

• Actually mine are automatically sent to me once I purchase my education and the cost of hard copy studying material and books in already included in the price. So as soon as I buy it they are shipped to me within 3-5 days.

My school isn't like most others though, so the way I get my books won't be consistent with the way you or most others get theirs.

• Wait until you know for sure what textbooks you need, unless you're going to an Ivy League school. Most college professors will adjust or change what textbooks are needed for their own class so if you buy before getting a syllabus you will have just wasted money.

• I only ordered text books that I'm interested in keeping. Otherwise, I just read them in the library and pocket the money.

What Girls Said 4

• You should be able to look up what books you'll need on your school's website. Try to avoid buying them at the bookstore.

• They usually have a list at your schools bookstore online.
    Sometimes the professors will email you ahead of time.
    Then you can decide which ones you want to buy yourself or at the bookstore.

• I just buy them at the bookstore within the first few days. I sell them back at the end of the quarter.

• before class starts.